Calling Admissions Offices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FINATWO

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you called an admissions office to inquire about your application and the receptionist calls you "honey". They say "hold on honey". This is sooooooo demeaning.

Members don't see this ad.

Are the schools in the south? If they are, then get used to it because anyone older than you is probably going to call you honey or sugar. It is just the way they are raised.

If it is not in the south, then it is probably someone from the last generation. Maybe a grandma type of lady. Just smile, it's better than calling you "idiot" , wouldn't you agree?
:p :p :p :p

I would rather be called honey than idiot, *****, ******, or have them say why in the F--- did you call here?

Members don't see this ad :)
I't would be a breath of fresh air to have a school call me honey rather than reprimand me for calling (like so many others have done). To me the term honey is warm and endearing. What are you complaining about?

Originally posted by UCLA2000:
•I't would be a breath of fresh air to have a school call me honey rather than reprimand me for calling (like so many others have done). To me the term honey is warm and endearing. What are you complaining about?•••

I suppose being called honey could be a little off-putting if you are not expecting it or no one has ever called you that. I'd rather be called honey than ma'am, since to me a "ma'am" is my grandma. Or *****, sir (since I am female), etc.

I don't see anything demeaning about being called honey. But hey I guess different strokes for different folks.

which school was this? they sound refreshingly nice! Most schools that I have called, seemed pretty annoyed.... making me think, "hey, I paid you $100 to apply here, and I don't care how busy you are!" :) :)

I agree that being called honey is demeaning unless it is a relative or friend. It is unprofessional as well. I especially hate it when old men call me honey at work or in other professional environments (a.k.a. when I'm applying somewhere) I agree its better than being called idiot but that's a pretty silly argument :)

The lady at Morehouse called me "baybay."

Loyola is pretty rude as well, just gave me my status and hung up, I said "Thank you" to a dialtone. Heh.