Calling all Clinical Psychologists

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by OhAnon, Jun 30, 2018.

1. OhAnon

Hi, I've been researching careers in psychology for a while and am eager to pursue one. Specifically becoming a clinical psychologist. But I do have some questions that I can't seem to find specific answers too online and I think it would be great to hear it from real clinical psychologists. Thanks in advance

1. How long did it take you to become one (years of school including internships)

2. Is the salary sufficient? Like are you able to sustain yourself and/or your family if you have one?

3. How many hours do you work a week on average and how much free time do you have?

4. Personally are you fulfilled with the job, why or why not?

And if you feel like answering, what is your average day like?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PSYDR

PSYDR Psychologist

1) median is 5-7 years + 1 for licensure.

2) see the thread about “what’s your day to day like”

3) see #2

4) see #2

4. artsyann

Psychology Student
    This seems like homework for a psychology class...

5. foreverbull

1. About 5 years coming in with a master's, 6 without a master's. Does not include postdoc time.

2. Really depends on the kind of job you land, factored in with cost of living, and whether you have student loans or not (debt can delay buying a house, etc.). Clinical and counseling psychology doctorates can lead to many types of jobs with different pay scales. Pay in my area is around $60-$65k for early career psychologists, but that number isn't enough to be able to afford the mortgage on a 3-bedroom house in my area. Really depends on where you live.

3. Again, depends on the job. Some of us do private practice and teach, some of us work full-time at VAs, community mental health, hospitals, universities, etc. Check the thread that PSYDR mentioned for personal examples.

4. Check the thread that PSYDR mentioned.

These questions would require essay-long answers that have already been answered in other threads, so feel free to peruse the threads more.

6. smalltownpsych

Psychologist

Psychologist