Calling all F30 awardees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gstrub

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out what people have been able to use their F30 institutional allowance for. I get $4200/year that is for me to spend on "expenses as research supplies, equipment, books, and travel to scientific meetings."

I have used these funds so far to purchase some lab supplies and a laptop (after pleading with my advisor). However, once I get to M3, I don't want a penny of that money going to lab supplies since my project will be over. So, any of you out there use these funds for:
1. M3 books
2. Travel to interviews
3. Away rotation expenses
4. Step II

I called the NIH and their response was basically whatever your advisor approves will be sufficient. I am trying to establish precedent. Please respond if you have any experience in this area!

Members don't see this ad.

i'm in my last year of grad before going back to M3 stuff. I too have used the funds for a laptop, and scientific travel.
My mentor doesn't really control the money, and it's not specified for 'lab supplies' - i plan to purchase books, pay for tests, etc. we may or may not be able to used it for interview expenses, but you may as well try. the worst that can happen is your accounting dept rejects it. Good luck! & Congrats on the grant!

I am not worried about the books. I REALLY want to use it for step II and ERAS applications. As far as interviewing goes, I'm sure I can find a "scientific meeting" at or nearby any institution where I will be interviewing. Unfortunately my advisor is the type that wants to approve ANY purchase...it took me a couple of months to convince her that it was OK to buy a laptop. Since you are starting M3 before me please keep me posted on what you use it for...if I have a precedent (ANY F30 being used to fund interview expenses/examinations) it will be much easier for me to convince her.
Thanks!