Calling all gym rats and health experts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westsidestoryz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this isn't med school related (well I guess it kind of is...)

So, I work out a lot (superb stress-relief) and have gained muscle mass over the years. I have always had a chubby face and people who I have not seen for awhile would say...dang...your face got fat...:eyebrow:

I eat right (no fried food, minimum fast food, banned beer from my diet :() and work out 3 times a week and I think my body fat % is around 11-13% but this face fat has been with me my entire life..
My father has a chubby face but I thought with intense work outs, it would go away.

So my question is this....I was planning to do a none to low carb diet for a couple of months and see how the results will be...will that have an effect on my studies? I know the brain needs glucose and all that but if I eat complex carbs, will that offset the genetic trait? (Or is genetics king?) I just dont want to be cranky, drowsy, and lackluster because my body isnt getting enough carbs, and yet, I am determined to have my face shaped like an isosceles triangle :laugh:

From Attending to premeds...all inputs, such as your diet plan and exercise plans, are welcomed :banana:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Plastics have a new injection just for fat faces. It's called Kybella

tumblr_lyswbnezRP1r43dlbo1_400.jpg

But in all seriousness, don't do any drastic dietary or workout changes for the first couple of months. You're already going to be trying to figure out what things work for you and your success. Once the routine has developed then you could slowly start tweaking things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Count macronutrients. Do not eliminate carbs, just reduce them a bit. People's bodies store fat in different places naturally so you may have to get very lean to have a slim face.

Just google IIFYM and see if you think you're capable of tracking your food with my fitness pal or a similar app

Cutting carbs out completely only works for short-sighted goals. That's why bodybuilders only do keto for the month (or so) leading up to a show. I thinks it's actually more like 2-3 weeks.

My plan consists of eating ~4 small/medium meals a day (each with a helping of protein, carb, and veggie.) You adjust the carb/protein serving per meal depending on if you want to gain mass or lose weight.

I eat every 4 hours (give or take 30 minutes depending on hunger) and I eat something that will give me an energy surge before workouts (e.g. Protein bar, banana, peanut butter sandwich.)

This works for me... there are obviously hundreds of crazy diets out there.. so just find one that fits you best!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't do keto now, but I have in the past and it certainly has its applications.

First, the way you fuel your body is important and making significant dietary changes just to thin your face out a bit is kinda silly IMO. That being said, when I go keto, ya boy got jawline for dayz.

When glucose gets pulled into your muscles, so does water. Going keto won't making you lose face fat without a caloric deficit, but you will drop water. My meathead friends and I all notice jawline gainz when going keto.

I'm talking modified keto( as opposed to medical): 70% fat, 20-25% Protein, the rest fiber (which is converted to short chain fatty acids in your colon) and trace carbs that come with the fiber in those delicious veggies covered in oil or butter you'll eat. Try to stay under 30g of trace carbs.

Your brain does need glucose. Yay for gluconeogenesis. You don't actually need to eat any.

Most people feel slow and foggy for a week or so, but then many people, including myself, experience mental clarity gainz.

I recommend exogenous ketones for the first week. Get some KetoCaNa and you should have some left after the first week to keep on hand if you end up getting knocked out of ketosis from some sugary sauce at a restaurant or something.

Warning: keto diets are hella inconvenient and boarderline socially isolating. If you mind being "the guy who eats weird" then don't go keto.

Reactions: 1 users
Eating no carbs whatsoever will definitely make your face more lean. I've done it before and have seen results. Everyone's experience is different though.

embrace the fat face; it'll keep you looking young ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm neither a body builder nor a gym-rat. However, I know it is hard to lose fat from specific body are. While I lost about 40 pounds, noone said me that I lost weight. Everyone said that I got smaller??? So while I was 165 pounds, I am a small and belly guy. Now I am 198 pounds and I am a big and belly guy :D (Of note I am 175 cm) I think your body shape hardly changes. My gym owner (who holds several championships) also has a double chin even he is in strict diet during competition times.

+1 for keto. But yeah, it's socially isolating when you're doing it. But it works well and I love it.

Slow-carb diets are good too, and much less socially awkward/restrictive.

+1 for keto. Love it. Played college football and all the extra weight melted off trying to get to a more sustainable weight. +1000 on it being super inconvenient though. Honestly after about 2 weeks you don't even think about carbs. I just got sick of being so limited when going out to eat and my girlfriend got sick of me not indulging with her. After the first week you'll feel the best you've ever felt. Super high energy levels and mental acuity through the roof. I've cycled on and off for about the last year and a half. Down about 30 pounds and I'd say 5-7% body fat and pretty much all from previously very stubborn areas.

Do ketosis, you don't have to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight in that state. The thermodynamics of it is more complex than simply calories in vs calories out. Plus, it would be good to start becoming a bit insulin sensitive and give your body a break from eating carbs all your life. Give it a try, I've heard it works wonders. Or you might just be eating too much salt making your face puffier.

Members don't see this ad :)
So this isn't med school related (well I guess it kind of is...)

So, I work out a lot (superb stress-relief) and have gained muscle mass over the years. I have always had a chubby face and people who I have not seen for awhile would say...dang...your face got fat...:eyebrow:

I eat right (no fried food, minimum fast food, banned beer from my diet :() and work out 3 times a week and I think my body fat % is around 11-13% but this face fat has been with me my entire life..
My father has a chubby face but I thought with intense work outs, it would go away.
You aren't working out enough.

What do you do on the other 4 days of the week??

Just eat at a bigger deficit

Did you notice any negative effects while doing keto?
The only thing you have to pay attention to is your hydration. The whole ketosis process causes a bad diuretic effect. Drink a lot of water and throw a little extra salt on your food. And be warned the first week sucks. I try to stay under 15g of carbs a day in the first week to kick start the process but it gives me a nasty headache for about 36 hours and a few days of low energy. After that you're golden. Decreased appetite and increased energy. Honestly nothing bad I can say about it. Feel free to pm me if you want any specifics.

Did you notice any negative effects while doing keto?
Oh actually there is the problem that alcohol tolerance goes way down (could be a good thing) and hangover intensity goes way up.

Research, hospital volunteer, mentor, soup-kitchen, tutor, study, and shadow. No job tho
Yeah buddy, you're gonna need to either lift or run/cardio on those days if you want to make real progress.

Yeah buddy, you're gonna need to either lift or run/cardio on those days if you want to make real progress.
but coach....im so tired :sick: but i guess if i want a skinnier face..i gotta put in the work

You're all for keto here? I won't knock it for fast results..keto does work in burning fat, but once you reintroduce carbs back in a surplus, the body reacts by storing it as fat no?

How old are you? Chances are with just diet, exercise and time your face will change as I am guessing you are probably young.

You should also be lifting and trying to avoid cardio to increase muscle mass which in turn will 1) change your body shape, 2) increase your basal metabolism, and 3) make people fear saying **** like that to your face.

Reactions: 1 users
How old are you? Chances are with just diet, exercise and time your face will change as I am guessing you are probably young.
26. but my father has a fuller face as well although it did get skinnier since hes older and not eating as much. But I want to bypass the timeline and get straight to the results

Yes, the body in ketoacidosis has no choice but to break down fat for glucose..but who says protein isn't subject to be used as well? I'm guessing your muscles will be compromised and for myself, I'd really like for my gains to stay as they are--gains, rather than be broken down and used as fuel.

Idk, my 0.02. I'd love to melt my love handle fat away but I'd rather do it by boosting my metabolism rather than tricking my body into thinking I'm in starvation mode.

Yes, the body in ketoacidosis has no choice but to break down fat for glucose..but who says protein isn't subject to be used as well? I'm guessing your muscles will be compromised and for myself, I'd really like for my gains to stay as they are--gains, rather than be broken down and used as fuel.

Idk, my 0.02. I'd love to melt my love handle fat away but I'd rather do it by boosting my metabolism rather than tricking my body into thinking I'm in starvation mode.
so basically...just run like hell

so basically...just run like hell
Hahah + resistance training. Muscle burns fat, but if you're worried about your chubby cheeks (I have them too, too bad I don't like contouring my face) then... I'm s*** out of luck with advice for that

EDIT: Have you done any of those ridiculous-looking but effective face exercises? Try them. There are like 40 some odd muscles on your face..work them!

The problem of protein being used is a pertinent one and that's why it's imperative to consume enough fat or else you will begin to burn protein primarily which will deplete your muscle mass as well as kick you out of ketosis rendering the whole thing a waste of time. Also the point about extreme fatigue is something I haven't dealt with at all.

Shouldn't be drinking alcohol during ketosis anyway.
Eh debatable. As long as you stick to spirits and not liquors you should be good. Everyone reacts differently but I've had no problem maintaining ketosis and enjoying a few rum and diets.

Do ketosis, you don't have to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight in that state. The thermodynamics of it is more complex than simply calories in vs calories out. Plus, it would be good to start becoming a bit insulin sensitive and give your body a break from eating carbs all your life. Give it a try, I've heard it works wonders. Or you might just be eating too much salt making your face puffier.

You don't have to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight, but it's going to be water and muscle glycogen. It's true the thermodynamics are more complicated than calories in calories out, but the studies show that in practice keto doesn't outperform other kinds of diets even though based on thermodynamics it should.

I would guess doing keto at maintenance over a super long term could result in some recomping, but not in the short term.

You're all for keto here? I won't knock it for fast results..keto does work in burning fat, but once you reintroduce carbs back in a surplus, the body reacts by storing it as fat no?

There is such thing as a CKD (cyclic ketogenic diet) where you reintroduce carbs for a 6-8 hour window every week or so. It's insane how much you can get away with eating in that window as long as you don't eat only stuff made of basically fat+sugar. I probably could have qualified for a binge eating disorder while I was using this strategy, but it was fun and it worked for my fitness goals.

You're not going to lose muscle at maintenance calories. If you go into a deficit and drop more than 10 pounds of fat you'll probably lose some muscle, but that's true of any diet that does not include some Mexican supplements. I got my squat up a good 50 pounds on keto. You can not only maintain your gainz, you can make them. You do have to change your training though. Some people have to cut their workload in half, but I got away with getting some good volume just doing a lot of lower rep sets. So instead of doing 3 sets of 8, I'd do 8 sets of 3.

Edit: for my non meathead friends, anabolics are legal OTC in Mexico, so people go there to get pharmaceutical grade "supplements" and smuggle them back, which is a way to get better/safer products than you'd get from the black market. Hence, Mexican supplements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.