Calling all Immigrants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princessd3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to post this here but I really need to know this and pre-allo always has the most visitors. Anyone know what an I-81 form is? I'm in the process of getting my permanent residency. I had the interview and everything. I got a letter saying to bring my passport to the office and passport pictures to file an I-81. I thought the interview was the last part of the process. Anyone know if I'm going to get a stamp in my passport or what? I know this is strange but you guys know everything.
Thanks for any information.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually Princess, I think you're more likely to get answers in the General Discussion for Internationals and IMGs forum even though it receives less traffic than Pre-Allo. I would move this thread to that forum now, but since I have a soft spot for Phil 4:13 in your sig I'll leave it here for a few hours. ;) After that, I'm moving it. :smuggrin:

I have never heard of an I-81 form. Are sure that's the correct number?

I also haven't heard of anyone else having to go through that post-interview, and the majority of my friends are immigrants.

Sorry I couldn't help...

Members don't see this ad :)
princessd3 said:
I'm so sorry to post this here but I really need to know this and pre-allo always has the most visitors. Anyone know what an I-81 form is? I'm in the process of getting my permanent residency. I had the interview and everything. I got a letter saying to bring my passport to the office and passport pictures to file an I-81. I thought the interview was the last part of the process. Anyone know if I'm going to get a stamp in my passport or what? I know this is strange but you guys know everything.
Thanks for any information.

Hey Princess,
I just went through the same thing. My interview was in April, then I was called in to bring my passport and the photos. :D The I-81 form is just their bureaucratic way of saying "green card" That is, when you go in now, you will get the temporary stamp in your passport, and then the two photos will be used to get your green card, which should arrive in the mail anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months later....
That is what happened with me, I have the stamp now, but am still waiting for the actual green card! But like Chaeymaey said, check on the INS website, or call their 1-800 number and if you dont mind being on hold for a loooong while, they will explain it to ou also...
HOpe that helps! Where are you from? and are you applying for medschool this year?
~infinite_dreams

infinite_dreams said:
Hey Princess,
I just went through the same thing. My interview was in April, then I was called in to bring my passport and the photos. :D The I-81 form is just their bureaucratic way of saying "green card" That is, when you go in now, you will get the temporary stamp in your passport, and then the two photos will be used to get your green card, which should arrive in the mail anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months later....
That is what happened with me, I have the stamp now, but am still waiting for the actual green card! But like Chaeymaey said, check on the INS website, or call their 1-800 number and if you dont mind being on hold for a loooong while, they will explain it to ou also...
HOpe that helps! Where are you from? and are you applying for medschool this year?
~infinite_dreams

Wow, thank you so much for sharing. This means so much to me. You put a huge smile on my face. I've been filing for 5 years now. I'm from Trinidad and Tobago, you? I will be two years behind my college peers because I was waiting for the G.C. So this stamp is temporary? It's as good as having the card? Med schools will accept that? I am applying this year. I graduated last year. I did the MCAT last August 31Q. So just waiting for the residency to come through. I initiated the AMCAS and now I have all the zeal in the world to finish it and send it in.....God is good. I'm so happy right now. How long did you wait in the process? Hmm...I had my interview last year....October...What state are you in?