Calling all med techs, CLS , Histology, Cytology majors....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of Med tech, CLS or Micro or lab related science majors go to med school or Phd. But its great to see even Podiatry has a good number.

Just curious, during your clinicals or work, Did you had any diagnostic case referred by Podiatrist which you found really interesting or were attracted toward podiatry. How many of you are or were in these professions.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just a CNA in undergrad. I have to say I highly prefer the patient care and interpersonal side of healthcare to the intense lab stuff (although I was a Cell Bio major and did do microbio, molecular bio, o-chem, biochem, quant chem, etc labs). I'd much rather be doing a H&P in clinic or visiting patients during hospital rounds than looking in a microscope or growing cultures, but that's just me.

Many people do highly enjoy the research and histologic aspects of the profession, though. Below is one of Barry's grads who is now our derm professor and podiatric path co-prof. He has carved out a nice and highly needed niche in the podiatry field - and made a very respectable name in the DPM community while doing so. His knowledge and published research makes you think of how podiatry educaton and practice might have room for growth in terms of dermatological knowledge, diagnostics, and treatments.
http://www.ameripath.com/healthcare/derm/pod_institute.htm

I was just a CNA in undergrad.

Bro! CNA according to me is the most important member in the Nursing Home and Old Age home. In a practical way, CNA controls the life of the Resident. I remembered there was a CNA who was very repulsive and avoided as much as he can Toiletry duties. He used to ignore the pleas of his assigned Old resident during his shift. It was only in the next shfit his residents got a chance to go to washroom. he just woudnt take them or help them:( . This lasted for 6-7 days. The result was one of his patient coudnt go to washroom for few days. The faecal matter literally became like a hard rock and was stuck in his colon. i swear it was like a hard rock.:eek: The patient was given anema but even that failed. later a Doc had to be called in who had to remove tat whole thing. It was the most grossiest thing i ever saw in my life.

That stupid CNA was fired and the RN Manager pursued his case and reported to the State Nurse Aide registry. She did not rest untill his Name was suspended and his registration debarred for good. People should not enter a profession unless they can do all task.Thats why CNA is the most important and vital player in Nursing home setup.:thumbup:

I think being a CNA, one gets to appreciate more about Podiatry because we always see around us how old patients suffer and how severely they need feet care. Incidently the Pod whom i shadowed served the same nursing home where i once worked as a CNA. It was a great experience visiting with DPM to the same nursing home where i worked and see things now from a DPM's perspective.