SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Calling all Meharry students and alums

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by senioritaelena, Apr 25, 2007.

1. senioritaelena

senioritaelena Let's go 2+ Year Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey all,

I am pretty sure that I will be attending Meharry in June. I have heard so many great things about it and a few bad. The one important question I have for Meharry med students and alumnis is:

Have any of you dealt with stigmatizing behaviour from other collegues/professionals that went to different institutions due to the fact that you went to Meharry?

Thank you for your input:)

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. soeagerun2or

soeagerun2or Banned Banned 2+ Year Member

Sep 27, 2006
    At other institutions? Everyone is stigmatized no matter where they come from because obviously the current school / program is the best.

4. Meltyman

Meltyman 7" Member 2+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2007
    I don't think it is appropriate to discriminate against anyone, no matter what med school they went to or where they trained. Individual accomplishment means a lot in medicine. That said, there are stereotypes about places based on data. People do hold that test scores and grades matter - if you don't know to get a head CT on a stroke patient before you give heparin on a test, you won't know that in the real world when time and performance count. So here is a list (hint: look at the bottom)
    http://www.eckerd.edu/academics/nas/premed/MCAT_GPA_List.htm

Again, people should be judged by their individual ability. Unfortunately, the standard and comparable measures for this are tests and the results have been consistent amongst schools for years.

Work hard and do your best, always :)

5. Villin

Villin 10+ Year Member

Aug 30, 2006
    thanks for the hint...i forgot what i was looking for after a while.

6. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I'm sure that op is already familiar with the admissions statistics for Meharry. Good job for exemplifying the discrimination that she was talking about and for providing a completely bogus example. You can't infer anything about the quality of Meharry's training based on MCAT/GPA data -- you're essentially implying that all schools with lower MCAT/GPAs have worse professors and teaching clinicians, and you have nothing to back that assertion up with. Or if you do, you didn't post it.

7. GuzzyRon

GuzzyRon Son of the Son of Man 10+ Year Member

You sounded like you are against stigmatizing but there is a subtle hint in your post that suggests you subscribe to the idea. If anything, your post only confirms the OPs fears that a stigma definitely exists :rolleyes:

8. Doctor Bagel

And if you read his post history, you can see that he bashed Meharry on another occasion. Nine posts and already being a jerk -- I think we have ourselves a troll.

9. swoop

swoop Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 16, 2002
    You could have at least said their match list sucks.

10. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jan 23, 2005
    San Diego
    What matters most are your board scores, your grades, your clinical evaluations from 3rd year, and your LORs. People will always have a stigma about anything black...that won't change. What you have to be sure of is what kind of student you are, and as long as you are sure about yourself, the medical school you attend doesn't matter. I've met Meharry grads who could only hope to match into FP, and I have also met Meharry grads who have matched into Top 10 surgery programs, 3 + 3 plastics programs at baylor, Ortho at Yale, etc. There will always be stereotypes, but if you know that you are a good student, no school will keep you back. What your colleguges are going to care about is whether you do your job, whether you know your stuff, and whether you do your job well.

11. DrVanNostran

DrVanNostran 10+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2006
    OP, the world sucks, but Meharry is a good school. I interviewed there this year, and as a South-Asian student, I would be more than happy to attend Meharry. Nice atmosphere, cool students, and love there clinicals.

Grats on your acceptance.

12. senioritaelena

Nov 3, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    :) I really just want responses from Meharry people, not the people who hate it or love it, unless they have a true story about their frined/sis/bro that goes/went there. Thanks, I am just really trying to decide what to do and I want solid advice. Hope you understand!! :)

13. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Guest

Feb 23, 2007
    In that case, this issue definitely belongs in allo class threads, but I have to say that I don't understand why a school would seem to have such a stigma attached to it.

Is it not accredited or something?

These people might be able to shed some light:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=356373

14. SomeDoc

SomeDoc 10+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Seriously, it's not going to matter where you went, provided you do really well in your classes and on the boards. Institution names only go so far- after that, you've got to have the numbers to back things up. :idea:

15. johnc

johnc Banned Banned

Apr 25, 2005
    Definitely, I completely agree he is a troll Doctor Bagel. Meltyman, how dare you present actual numbers and then have the audacity to imply that the MCAT or the GPA has anything to do with intelligence or effort. You are a Racist and a Bigot. Rev. Al Sharpton will make sure you are kicked out of school. In fact, you should personally apologize to every student who ever has, is, or will attend Meharry.

16. Doctor Bagel

Way to be considerate to the op. I'm sure going down this road was not her intent. :rolleyes:

17. GuzzyRon

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

18. GuzzyRon

Exactly what I'm thinking.

19. GuzzyRon

True. True.

20. Villin

Villin 10+ Year Member

Aug 30, 2006
    you sound juvenile in your responses especially when you mention the ever ignorant Al Sharpton. You are a sorry creature if you think he's a leader/role model/etc.

a word of advice...go to med school first before posting in the allopathic forum.

21. johnc

johnc Banned Banned

Apr 25, 2005
    [​IMG]

22. JBlue

JBlue Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 7, 2002
    O.K. I have to respond to this thread. I am an MSIII at Meharry and it amazes me that the "numbers" people want to focus on are the MCATs and undergrad GPAs. Who cares about that after you get into med school? Those numbers are mostly to get you into school and once there it is up to you to get yourself ready for residency. This has been said before but it is Meharry's mission in part to give opportunities to those who might not have strong numbers but who have a drive and who Meharry feels is capable of making good doctors. They, unlike many schools, are not just fixated on the numbers. I have loved going to Meharry (though there are many frustrations) and I can honestly say I feel like I have gotten a great education, have learned a ton of really important things that I might not have learned anywhere else, had all the tools I needed to do well on the boards and am set to match into a competitive residency next year. Maybe when I get on the interview trail I will see more of the stigma thing that people worry about and maybe I will drop on some rank lists because of my SOM. We'll see. This year in a class of 80 we went 3/3 in radiology, had our first plastics match, had a urology match, 4 EM matches, many anesthesia matches including Hopkins, several great IM matches, several surgery matches, great Peds matches including Hopkins and Vandy and others I can't think of. So, really it is what you make of it. Go to school, work hard, take responsibility for your education and do what you have to do to get to where you want to be.

23. SomeDoc

SomeDoc 10+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2007
    The "Reverend" Al Sharpton, ignorant? NoOoo ;)

24. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned Banned

Oct 1, 2006
    I'll jump in. The "stigma" exists because it's a HBC that has had some academic problems in the past (i.e. pass rate). However, I've heard things have improved. Great. What impresses me more is the new connection/alliance Meharry has made with Vandy. That alliance is gold.

25. senioritaelena

Nov 3, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    You know, Over the last couple of weeks I have spoken to a million MD's , MD students, MD pre-meds and profs. I have finally come to realize that I can forget all the stigma crap and go to Meharry and kick ass and get into the type or residency/career that I want. The common theme in many discusisons I have had is that "med school is what you make of it" That is that. I firmly can see this now and am giong to attend Meharry and now actually can't wait to get started. I am psyched for my future now. Thanks for your replies guys, they helped too.

26. GuzzyRon

First of all, your mindless attack is both rude and unnecessary and quite frankly, stupid. Everyone knows (perhaps, except you) that johnc mentioned Al Sharpton in jest. Meltyman rightly deserves the criticism he's getting and why you are coming to the defense of someone who seems to derive pleasure in pulling others down makes me wonder the kind of person you are.

Secondly, what exactly is your problem with Al Sharpton? And who do you have problems with, the downtrodden, the people who fight for them or both? Rev. Sharpton may not be a role model to you or the greatest person walking the earth, but I certainly commend his efforts at fighting racial and social injustice. Of course, that may mean nothing to you since you're probably a member of the elitist group that thrives on, and seeks to preserve the status quo.

Thirdly, thanks for your unsolicited advice but ALL forums on SDN (including the allo forum) are open to ALL registered posters and not just to any elite, special or privileged group.

27. GuzzyRon

I'm glad you are finally at peace with your decision. Great feeling I can imagine. :D