Calling all Northern California EMTs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Will

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wanted to know where and during what time of year you had your EMT training. I want to get certified during the summer, but the only cc offering the class this summer is about two hours away. Don't really feel like driving that much, considering I will be retaking the MCAT in August.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Will,

I took my EMT certification course at Bayshore Ambulance in San Mateo last fall. I liked the fact that the class only took about 7 weeks (2 1/2 days per week) and you get a lot of individual attention since the class is small. On the other hand, the class was new when I took it and there were some kinks in organization. Also, it is pretty expensive (I had some contacts so I got a large discount). So if you're strapped for cash, I'd recommend taking it at a CC.

If you want to find out more, you can visit their website at <a href="http://www.bayshoreambulance.com" target="_blank">www.bayshoreambulance.com</a>

Best of luck. Becoming an EMT is a great experience.

Just saw that you're from Fairfield. San Mateo is probably way too far. Hope you find something closer.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's all good! I just wanted to see who offers the classes when. I was hoping to do it over the summer, but it seems that most of the cc don't offer training during this time. Probably end up taking it in the fall. Thanks anyways!

I took a summer EMT course through Merritt College in Oakland.

I took it at College of San Mateo - but it was during a normal semester. I don't know if any of the community colleges in the East Bay offer it over the summer - but there are many private agencies that offer the EMT course over a matter of weeks - but that comes at a steep price. Sometimes local fire departments put on the course for their employees, and if they still have spots open, they'll offer it to you for a nominal price, though you will have to purchase all of your own supplies. I'll see what I can find out...