Calling all Pre-Dental Guru's.... please report here and fast!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldamnedstudent

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellow Pre-Dents... here are my questions and concerns, if you have time to answer even just one, I will give you a certificate for a free one tooth cleaning some day. Seriously, I don't know much "inside" information about the schools I applied... so here we go.

Q: Is it true that 20% of the first year students at NYU get dropped due to their low GPA after the first year?

Q: Does anyone know anyone who rents an apartment and doesn't live in the student housing at NYU and how hard is it to find a place?

Q: Anyone know about the Problem Based Learning at USC? I have heard that to get clinical experience, you have to ask an upperclassman to show you the ropes, there is no teacher for the clinics as well as for the didactic portion of your studies.

Q: Anyone have any feelings about if one was to choose Boston, whether to go Tufts vs. BU?

Q: Lastly, does anyone have any feelings about which of these schools seems to have a better program or reputation? (since there is no ranking available) USC, UPENN, NOVA, Maryland, NYU, BU, and Tufts?

That's it.... sorry I have so many. This is crazy! So much to think about... I'm about ready to tie my tooth to the doorknob and teach myself dentistry!!! Thanks you all!!! Class of 2006 baby!!! Yeah, wine coolers for everyone!
:clap:

Dental Damned Student, DDS

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Dentaldamnedstudent!

Hopefully I can help with the answers to some of your questions. Here goes:

Q: Is it true that 20% of the first year students at NYU get dropped due to their low GPA after the first year?

I was concerned about this too. Aparently, that 20% is an average, and it is due to the students not getting the GPA (ie failing) to continue or dropping out for reasons of their own. The reason this number may be higher than other schools is because thier class is twice the size of just about every other school.

Q: Does anyone know anyone who rents an apartment and doesn't live in the student housing at NYU and how hard is it to find a place?

I went onto rent.com for ideas. I found places that were 1 bedroom or studios, no Air conditioning, no laundry, etc for $1200-$1500 per month. If you get a realator, I think they charge you to schow you places and if you get a place from them. I am going to do the student housing at least for a year till I get used to the city and get an idea of where I want to live. At least it has A/C, ethernet, laundry, etc. But, I shouldn't speak too soon, b/c I haven't actually gone to see them yet.

Q: Anyone know about the Problem Based Learning at USC? I have heard that to get clinical experience, you have to ask an upperclassman to show you the ropes, there is no teacher for the clinics as well as for the didactic portion of your studies.

Have you been on the interview yet? They explain everything very thoroughly there. You get put into small groups and a faculty member is assigned to each group. They observe you in your groups, do not lecture, but will lead you in the right direction and helo you if you need help. Before the tests, each group submits a summary-type sheet to their faculty member of what theor group covered. They then get together and check out what the main points on all of the sheets are and make up the tests from there. Apparently it is pretty effective since the test groups they did in the traditional DDS program scored higher on the boards that the other students.
As far as clinics, you need to go to the upperclassmen if you want to assist to get additional experience. BUT in your groups you work in the clinic doing the things that were covered in the particular cases you cover. Apparently this is effective too b/c you are able to directly relate what you are learning to the clinic.

Q: Anyone have any feelings about if one was to choose Boston, whether to go Tufts vs. BU?

I did not apply to Tufts, but I did apply to Boston. I loved the BU facilities, students, faculty, location, etc. I chose not to go there because of the patient pool - mostly college students. I did not think you would get enough clinical variety with college students and if I am going to pay that much for school, I want a strong clinical school. Plus, most of the 4th year students I talked to there felt they needed to GPRs and I want to avoid that iff possible.

Q: Lastly, does anyone have any feelings about which of these schools seems to have a better program or reputation? (since there is no ranking available) USC, UPENN, NOVA, Maryland, NYU, BU, and Tufts?

I would say that UPENN b/c it is Ivy. BUT as a resident of Pennsylvania and being surrounded by dentists who graduated from PENN, I can say that Temple and Pitt seem to produce the better dentists, as far as clinical. PENN seems to have a good research rep. But then again, these dentists have all been out for some years and maybe things have changed. Nova may not have the best rep only b/c it is new school and hasn't had the years to build the rep. In Cali, USC has an excellent clinical rep, and I was at a school on the east coast for an interview that bragged about their clinics and they compared them to USC. As for the other schools, I am really not sure, since they are not ranked. But since there are so few schools, I think you will get an excellent education anywhere.

Hope this helps! :confused:

Regina

Regina,
just wondering what school compared themselves to SC in clinical experience?
thanks

the one and only brat :wink:

Members don't see this ad :)
I can only answer two of the ?'s

re: Tufts vs. BU

definitely go with Tufts, better rep, better school...at least that is what is said amongst the dentists i have spoken with and is also my opinion after having interviewed at both schools.

re: Upenn, USC etc...

I interviewed at Upenn and almost went there, i was really impressed with the environment there and their attitude towards teaching. It has an EXCELLENT rep, esp if you want to specialize

Bratty,

The school that compared themselves with USC is Temple. My uncle is a Temple grad and he raves about the clinical experience there too.

Tufts for sure. Strong clinic, nice facility and nice environment

Tufts is a very similar school to UOP in California.

This is my own ranking of the following schools
1. UPENN
2. Tufts
3. BU
4. NYU, USC, NOVA, and Maryland

I can only answer 2 as well:

1) Tufts vs. BU: I'd go w/Tufts for the same reasons bruin2k pointed out
2) Rep Order: Penn, Tufts, Maryland, BU, NYU/USC/NOVA

Neeky,

Just curious... you say that you almost went to UPENN.... why not, what have you heard about it, and where are you going, if you know at this point?

Thanks!