Calling all SDN Pharmacists', I need your advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
That and other sections of the pharm forums are dead

I got accepted to two unis, one a catholic one rejected me and the other one (regular private one) did not (Saint John's Uni and LIU respectively)

I want to become a pharmacist but one problem, LIU

SJU is located in a nice, good neighborhood (upacale and safe), and parking is EVERYWHERE. But they only accepted me for chem

LIU accepted me for pre-prof pharm track! But it's located in Flatbush Brooklyn. I went there a couple of times recently, it's horrible

You see, I want you to imagine harlem.....yea it's that bad

I know that the LIU's pharm students consist mostly of nice jewish majority and a few asian and indian majority which is great

But for the love of God, it's a horrible place outside

There is no parking at ALL, and if there is; you'd be lucky to get some

Also, the place as I said is like harlem. I don't want to get jumped nor interefered by anyone there. I'm the stereotypical nice sensitive kid from a nice area who never took transit to get to school since he always walked there

What should I do?

P.S. : I can't take subways as I never took them to get to school and cannot handle them due to my current illness taking a toll to my tolerance to anything at all.

;__;

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted to two unis, one a catholic one rejected me and the other one (regular private one) did not (Saint John's Uni and LIU respectively)

SJU is located in a nice, good neighborhood (upacale and safe), and parking is EVERYWHERE. But they only accepted me for chem

LIU accepted me for pre-prof pharm track! But it's located in Flatbush Brooklyn. I went there a couple of times recently, it's horrible

I know that the LIU's pharm students consist mostly of nice jewish majority and a few asian and indian majority which is great

Also, the place as I said is like harlem. I don't want to get jumped nor interefered by anyone there. I'm the stereotypical nice sensitive kid from a nice area who never took transit to get to school since he always walked there

What should I do?

P.S. : I can't take subways as I never took them to get to school and cannot handle them due to my current illness taking a toll to my tolerance to anything at all.

;__;

I'd go to the school that accepted me for the program I wanted to take. It's Harlem, not Mogadishu.

What should I do?

;__;

If you don't mind me asking, do you suffer from anxiety? You seem very worried about your options. I don't blame you, no one likes living in bad areas but it is only temporary and it helps you learn to deal with different kinds of people and situations. It's nice to be comfortable but you'll learns a lot if you're placed out of your comfort zone.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind me asking, do you suffer from anxiety? You seem very worried about your options. I don't blame you, no one likes living in bad areas but it is only temporary and it helps you learn to deal with different kinds of people and situations. It's nice to be comfortable but you'll learns a lot if you're placed out of your comfort zone.

I'm a little worried about the OP's ability to get through pharm school if just taking the subway is causing that much anxiety. :scared:

What should I do?

;__;

Not to be mean , but u sound like a little spoiled rich kid...I used to live in NY and I have been to Flatbush, it is not that bad!!! How do u think the others(going to LIU) are doing?!!! maybe u should go LIU, it will open ur mind, and stop stereotyping!!! n u will learn how to take the subway!!!

I would go to the cheapest school with the cheapest cost of living. I agree that being removed from one's comfort zone = learning and growing. Pharmacy school will probably make you uncomfortable sometimes!

But yeah, if you suffer from anxiety, pharm school might not be for you...

If riding the subway will effectively prevent you from obtaining your goals; they are the wrong goals.

Public transportation is for squares anyway.

OP, as for your fear of "getting jumped", I'm sure many of the students live near each other, so there's a group dynamic there. You're far less likely to get jumped if, say, a dozen P-1's are all taking the exact same route home.

Or just buy a gun. Same **** to me.

So you're racist?
LIU: Brooklyn is in Downtown Brooklyn, which is pretty much the rich, yuppie part of Brooklyn, you'll be fine. Harlem, is actually a lot safer than Downtown Brooklyn. The malls in Downtown Brooklyn and Harlem 125th St are awesome, I always can get some cheap video games and cell phones over there. Junior's is an awesome restaurant right across the street from LIU, I haven't found a cheesecake to top their's yet. Also, you'll get a continental breakfast at Junior's for about $7, and there is a pretty ****ing awesome pizzeria 2 blocks away from LIU on Dekalb.

There is a parking garage right across the street from LIU's South Entrance on Dekalb Avenue, and there is street parking all around LIU, just get there around 830AM, and you'll find metered parking.

What should I do?

;__;

50small.gif

Last edited:
Moved to pre-pharm. School choice questions are pre-pharm in nature. The topic, not the audience, is the determining factor.

What should I do?

;__;

"jumped or interfered" :laugh:

I'm from New York and I think you'll be OK. Neither of those schools are in Harlem anyway.. only Touro College is and you don't seem to have applied there; not that all parts of Harlem are dangerous anyway. The places that you did mention should be fine-

Last edited:

What should I do?

;__;

I believe it is time for you to grow up. Learn to be accepting of diversity, disregard these "stereotypes" you mention, and follow the lead of students who have been there. You are going to encounter things like that and such during pharmacy school and throughout your entire life as a professional. Just take a deep breath lol you will be fine