calling docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kirk002

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When calling a doctor about shadowing them should you call them at their house or at their home number?

------------------
kbh

Members don't see this ad.

LOL, that's a tough one. At their house, or at their home number. Hmmmm...

All kidding aside, I would probably call them at the "office", unless you know them very well. I believe that this would be the more professional way of doing things. Many doctors like to leave "work-related things" at work, and with the little time left they have at home, like to do family/other things.

If they are a good friend, then maybe I'd call them at home. The response time would probably be quicker.
smile.gif

------------------
Sara
Class of 2004 at XXXXX

I agree with SD. Unless you know the Dr. personally, you should call the office. That's just professional curtesy.

How would you like to be called out of the blue at home, while your trying to have dinner, by some kid you don't even know, asking you to write a recomendation?

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest writing the doctor first (at their office) and in the message telling him/her that you will call in a week and follow up. This gives the doc a change to consider your requestat his convenience and then to check with office managers on the policies and procedures regarding observers.

The letter may not be required but it is just a suggestion. When I contacted a doc that I wanted to shadow this gave her the chance to check with her supervisors (she worked in an underserved area clinic run by an area hospital)and get everything approved.

Good luck with getting your shadowing experience going. I really enjoed it and it helps me almost daily in medical school. ( Reminds me why I am here when things get tough and also provides a framework to add existing knowledge.)

ADVICE FOR SHADOWING:
1. I would like to add that for anyone shadowing that after you get with a good doc go out of your way to help the office staff. Clean up the rooms after the patinet leaves etc. I am not saying do this after every pateint but little things like that free up time for nurses and medical assistans who can also be very helpful in the learning experience.

2. Pick of a text of physical exam skills. Try to read a section or part of one for each visit and then discuss it with your doc. The fist doc I shadowed with actually suggested the idea and then when we were on rounds in the hospital or when we had any free time in the office we would discuss what I read and then he would work with me in developing those skills. It was a lot of hard work but well worth it.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Don't be an idiot!!!!! Of course you should call them at the office. I doubt you'll be able to get anyone on the phone, just leave a message. Most will be more than willing to call you back. If you call someone at home they'll probably just think you're some dingus or a suckup...either way you're screwed. Use some common sense!

Deb, MS-III