Navy Calling out all navy Dentist who has served in Japan or know anything about it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LFA20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, I know that it is still many months until I have to submit my wishlist in November/December for my operational tour but I want to research as much as I can now. My goal is to be stationed as close as possible to Tokyo and be exposed to as much dentistry as I can. Based on what I heard these are the options:

SHORE: Yokosuka, iwakuni, Sasebo, Atsugi, Okinawa.
Carrier/LHD: Reagan, Wasp, Germantown

Now the only thing that worries me about a carrier is the clinical experience there when it is underway. I don’t mind working more than 8 hours a day If I get to do decent amount of dentistry but I heard there were time where where the dentists are done working as early as 11am? I do however want to experience what life is like on a carrier in the ocean and travel to other countries. I feel that having spend 4-5 a month/year on shore is already enough time to explore the surrounding cities.

Yokosuka/Atsugi : within train distance to Tokyo so this will probably my ideal location. How is one clinic compared to the other?

Okinawa/iwakuni/sasebo: plane ride away from Tokyo. If I can’t visit Tokyo as often as I’d like what other cool cities are there around the area? I know Okinawa is just an Island (a beautiful one :)) but if I get a shore duty there I’d imagine it’ll be a little boring ;). I don’t know much about sasebo or iwakuni.

Any comments/advice is appreciated
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You will have PLENTY of patients on a carrier. When deployed, a carrier adopts another 2,000 patients from the air wing so your concern about not being busy enough is a non-issue.

Reactions: 1 users