Calling programs about local prelims?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chagall

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realized that I didn't apply to enough preliminary programs. I'm still not sure about my rank list, but I'm considering some advanced programs out of state...and the dean here told me there's no guarantee I'll get a prelim spot at my home school if I do that.

So say I want to go to school X, which has its own prelim program...but I didn't even get an interview at that prelim (which has happened in several cases). Is it smart or stupid to call or email (maybe just the secretary?) at that school to ask about local prelims in that area that are good?

I think the plus side would be that I could say that I'm very interested in the school...but the down side is pointing out that I didn't get an interview at that school and that I didn't apply to enough prelims in that area.

I would think it is way too late to do this, but I talked to a dean at my school, and she recommended trying to talk to both local and out-of-state prelim programs so I can at least get more certainty before the match. I can't imagine they would still interview me, though?

Any advice would be great...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's very late, by anybody's standards, to be applying to programs. Many programs are no longer looking a new applications in ERAS.

If you're short on prelims, you might be stuck getting one in the scramble.

I think the best thing to do is to do your own research. If someone contacted me now and said "Well, I'm interested in your program but I didn't get a prelim interview and I just realized now that I need a prelim and I might not get one near you, what do you think?", I'd think that person had no idea what they were doing, and that wouldn;t be good.

So, I'd look at the prelims near some of your interviews were. I'd consider contacting them directly about maybe reviewing your application. I doubt you will get any love at this point, but you could try. More importantly, you could mention that should they have a spot in the scramble, you might be interested.

Should you match at your advanced program but not a prelim, you will find out on Monday of match week. Most importantly, if you call the NRMP they will tell you what city your advanced match is in. You can then focus on that city in the scramble -- again, getting some pre-work done will help in the scramble as it happens very, very quickly.

aProgramdirector,
Thanks for the info...Just wanted to know if NRMP will indeed tell us which city i matched for the advanced program. I thought i would have no clue where i matched (If i just matched to an advanced program)...Any thoughts?

Although I cannot find a statement to this effect on the NRMP website, I am sure it is true. I believe you need to call the NRMP and they will tell you what city your advanced match is in -- it won't be in the email you get on Monday.

aProgDirector,....Thanks Very much for the info....I will call NRMP today and ask them

I did call NRMP and they confirmed that they will tell you on phone .....which city you have matched only if you matched into an advanced program and failed to match in the prelim spot....So yes this is a confirmation!!!!