Calling schools for demographics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lawhim2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to apply to OT school for the first time this fall. I have a long list of schools that I would like to attend and plan to apply to several but I want to increase my chances of getting accepted to a program by applying to plenty that are around my range of stats. Is it okay to call schools and ask what their average gpa/gre/prereq demographics were that got accepted into their programs last cycle? Should I just call the OT admissions office? I'm afraid that all of my top choices are a little bit out of my league and I don't want to end up applying to too many long shots.

Members don't see this ad.

It's fine to ask, but I'd make sure that it's not already provided. Many programs share class profiles for the very reason you're noting. One specific demographic that might be explored among any public institutions you might be considering is the influence of state residency. Some have mandates and/or significant political pressure or benchmarks in accepting in-state students. Still others have precisely the opposite, desiring to enroll more out-of-staters to generate revenues. The latter may be fully reticent in exposing that reality, and the best you might be able to determine is if they lend preference to in-state applicants.

I am about to apply to OT school for the first time this fall. I have a long list of schools that I would like to attend and plan to apply to several but I want to increase my chances of getting accepted to a program by applying to plenty that are around my range of stats. Is it okay to call schools and ask what their average gpa/gre/prereq demographics were that got accepted into their programs last cycle? Should I just call the OT admissions office? I'm afraid that all of my top choices are a little bit out of my league and I don't want to end up applying to too many long shots.
lawhim2 - All this talk about the OTCAS in another thread reminded me to respond here. Each school has a program profile that you can download (opens in Word). Most schools provided exactly what you are asking about. Hope that helps.