calling the admissions offices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lisams1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not yet heard from any medical schools regarding an interview and of course I am getting really nervous about my chances of getting in at all this year. On the secondaries that I filled out they almost all specified not to call the admissions office to check on the status of an application, but I have noticed on this forum that a lot of people do call. Will it look like I am impatient if I just go ahead and call them? The last thing I want to do at this point is get on their bad side. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Lisa

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it would look impatient if you contact the schools, especially if you have been quiet up to now. You can always ask if they have sent out all their interview offers for the season. That way, you don't have to refer to your file specifically. If they haven't sent all their offers, then I think it would be okay to see if you are still being considered. I personally have called a few schools and found it to be helpful--in some cases they told me that I was offered an interview over the phone and in one case, they were able to get my file reviewed much more quickly than it would have otherwise (they were accommodating because I was going to be in town for another interview).

Go back and look at the instructions from the schools you've applied to. If they say don't call, *don't call.* Any time you call a place, if you've applied, a note is put in your folder... which in itself may not be bad unless they've specified that you NOT do it. If the materials don't say anything about not checking in, go ahead, but make sure the call is very courteous and professional -- anything from a short generic note to a summary of the conversation can go in your file. Good luck!