• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

    Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Calling the PD or Chair

leavinTX

New Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2006
2
0
  1. Medical Student
    After you have decided what program you are putting #1 do you think you should call them, have your home school Chair call, or write a letter letting them know you put them first? Or do you think at this point they have already made their list anyway?
     

    CANES2006

    Miami chica
    10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jan 12, 2002
    1,243
    1
    Miramar, FL
    1. Attending Physician
      leavinTX said:
      After you have decided what program you are putting #1 do you think you should call them, have your home school Chair call, or write a letter letting them know you put them first? Or do you think at this point they have already made their list anyway?

      I would just write a letter or send an e-mail to the PD and let them know that they are your 1st choice. Anything else is overkill and may reflect negatively on you.
       
      About the Ads

      fuzzyerin

      Senior Member
      10+ Year Member
      Apr 23, 2004
      256
      0
      43
      1. Attending Physician
        If the program director or chair calls to say that it is someone's number one choice, the program director at that institution will take it more seriously, because it is very unlikely that a program director will call a bunch of places to say that they are your number one choice. A prospective applicant, however, could.
         

        little mermaid

        Junior Member
        10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Sep 17, 2005
        19
        0
        1. Medical Student
          do you guys think that it is too late at this point and that programs have already made their lists?

          i am currently doing a rotation and have only had the chance to do one second-look and would like to do one or two more for my top three choices. so i will know my rank order at the earliest tuesday, feb 14th. will it be too late at that point for my school's chair or PD to make the call?
           

          NM0821

          New Member
          10+ Year Member
          Mar 29, 2005
          2
          0
            I do know that a lot of programs have already met...either last week or this week...I've heard this from a couple of residents that I know at a few schools, so if you know your #1, I would recommend probably sending an e-mail to the PD ASAP, so they get it in time if they haven't already met. Hope this helps!
             

            community

            Senior Member
            10+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Nov 17, 2001
            233
            1
            New York/New Jersey
              Some of the programs where I interviewed mentioned that their meetings were around the 17th or 18th of Feb. I would think that the program dir can change rank order lists if they want, wouldn't you? So even if you let them know Feb 14th, the deadline isn't until Feb 22nd. If you read info about the algorithm on the NRMP site it seems as if the can also shuffle applicants around during the match itself. Good luck in the match!!!

              P.S. My last second look is on Feb 15th.
               

              Diane L. Evans

              SDN Moderator
              Moderator Emeritus
              10+ Year Member
              Nov 16, 1998
              682
              7
              Mississippi
              passingyourobgynboards.com
              1. Attending Physician
                sound pretty reasurring.

                Keep in mind that besides program name you'll need to factor in sanity
                [1] Night floats offere reliable schedules rather than q 4 with less on calls/mo
                [2] Larger programs have better work hours (ie inevitably one will leave one will get pregnant/sick... etc..)
                [3] Fellowships opportunities
                [4] Didatics did everyone pass OB/Gyn Boards/ Score 200 (avg on CREOGS)?
                [5] DId people leave the program why..
                [6] How stable are the faculty
                [7] Publications the more the better known
                [8] Estrogen/Testosterone mix of class

                Good luck
                 

                Diane L. Evans

                SDN Moderator
                Moderator Emeritus
                10+ Year Member
                Nov 16, 1998
                682
                7
                Mississippi
                passingyourobgynboards.com
                1. Attending Physician
                  little mermaid said:
                  do you guys think that it is too late at this point and that programs have already made their lists?

                  i am currently doing a rotation and have only had the chance to do one second-look and would like to do one or two more for my top three choices. so i will know my rank order at the earliest tuesday, feb 14th. will it be too late at that point for my school's chair or PD to make the call?

                  lists made and entered by most schools. Programs have earlier deadlines.
                   

                  Oddmanout

                  Junior Member
                  10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Nov 7, 2005
                  17
                  0
                  1. Medical Student
                    Diane L. Evans said:
                    lists made and entered by most schools. Programs have earlier deadlines.

                    According to the nrmp.org 2006 Main Match Schedule, programs and applicants both have the same official submission time. Of course programs and students can finish early if they want to...

                    From http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/yearly.html :

                    February 22, 2006
                    Late Registration Deadline

                    Rank order list certification deadline
                    Applicants and programs must certify their rank order lists by 9:00 PM eastern time. Staff will be available to answer your questions during the final deadline hours. CERTIFIED applicant and program rank order lists and any other information pertinent to the Match must be entered in the R3 System by this date and time.
                     

                    Controll

                    New Member
                    10+ Year Member
                    Feb 16, 2006
                    3
                    0
                      travel_often said:
                      i emailed the PD after my second look...she emailed back and said "nothing could make me happier than to see your name on our match list in march." is this generic or actually reassuring????

                      Calling is always worth a try!!! As luck would have it, I placed a call to the PD at the Mayo and was invited over for dinner to discuss my rank list! Who knew??? Give 'em a call, it can never hurt! :clap:
                       

                      Quink

                      Junior Member
                      10+ Year Member
                      5+ Year Member
                      Feb 8, 2006
                      33
                      0
                      1. Academic Administration
                        Diane L. Evans said:
                        sound pretty reasurring.

                        Keep in mind that besides program name you'll need to factor in sanity
                        [1] Night floats offere reliable schedules rather than q 4 with less on calls/mo
                        [2] Larger programs have better work hours (ie inevitably one will leave one will get pregnant/sick... etc..)
                        [3] Fellowships opportunities
                        [4] Didatics did everyone pass Boards/ Score 200 more on CREOGS?
                        [5] DId people leave the program why..
                        [6] How stable are the faculty
                        [7] Publications the more the better known
                        [8] Estrogen/Testosterone mix of class

                        Good luck

                        A few clarifications in using this list for decision-making about programs:
                        CREOGS have no pass or fail. This is an in-service exam that identifies a resident's strong and weak areas. Most programs will not, for their resident's privacy sake, share scores with applicants.

                        Also, folks seem to be very concerned about people leaving programs. It happens in the most competitive programs and, unless residents are leaving in droves, should not be a huge factor in your decision. People find themselves in the wrong field, have family factors that cause them to want to change specialities or locations, have babies, get sick....losing a resident does not mean a troubled program.
                         

                        community

                        Senior Member
                        10+ Year Member
                        15+ Year Member
                        Nov 17, 2001
                        233
                        1
                        New York/New Jersey
                          travel_often said:
                          i emailed the PD after my second look...she emailed back and said "nothing could make me happier than to see your name on our match list in march." is this generic or actually reassuring????

                          I got similar emails. One of which was from my number one choice. I just hope they are being honest. What I am late in though is the phone call I would have liked my Dean to make. It turned out he was on vacation this week. I am now asking another Dean at my school. I hope it isn't too late.

                          community
                           
                          About the Ads
                          This thread is more than 15 years old.

                          Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                          1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          7. This thread is locked.