Calling your top choices this month

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rms435

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in this month before acceptances for March schools go out, I had a current student tell me that it was a good idea to call one or two of my top choices and express interest. (I've already sent LOIs.) Has anyone made these calls? What am I supposed to say and who am I supposed to speak to? Would I actually ask to speak to the Dean? I'm always so nervous when I call schools and feel like I'm a nuisance for calling when I don't have a specific question. Any advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So in this month before acceptances for March schools go out, I had a current student tell me that it was a good idea to call one or two of my top choices and express interest. (I've already sent LOIs.) Has anyone made these calls? What am I supposed to say and who am I supposed to speak to? Would I actually ask to speak to the Dean? I'm always so nervous when I call schools and feel like I'm a nuisance for calling when I don't have a specific question. Any advice? Thanks!

I don't know, but I'm not doing it... I do send LOIs, though.

I don't think it's helpful. You know how hard it is to get in touch with your MD on the phone. Imagine trying to get an MD who sits on the admissions committee and is still dealing with a large number of applicants.

Maybe send an e-mail to the Dean if you really want to do something.

I'm just sending in LOIs though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about that. It may do something, but it may also seem too pushy.

what if the top choice in question is harvard...i didn't send an loi, nor do i plan on it -- wouldn't it just be pointless? i mean, if i actually stated the programs they have that appeal to my interests and how well i'd fit in there they'd probably not believe it anyway...who sents lois to harvard??!!