Calming Nerves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pianola

MS2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you do when you get overwhelmed and realize that 2 gazillion secondaries take quite a while to complete? That you'll potentially be waiting at least a couple of months (after all that hard work!) before you start hearing about interviews? That, at some schools, all of your secondary work will effectively be flushed down a toilet with no further consideration?

Serious and funny answers appreciated, of course, but I have a special place in my heart for people who'll take the question seriously.

What relaxes you? How do you de-stress and refocus?

:luck: to all who are applying this cycle and feeling the pressure.

Thanks for your input :)

Members don't see this ad.

What do you do when you get overwhelmed and realize that 2 gazillion secondaries take quite a while to complete? That you'll potentially be waiting at least a couple of months (after all that hard work!) before you start hearing about interviews? That, at some schools, all of your secondary work will effectively be flushed down a toilet with no further consideration?

Serious and funny answers appreciated, of course, but I have a special place in my heart for people who'll take the question seriously.

What relaxes you? How do you de-stress and refocus?

:luck: to all who are applying this cycle and feeling the pressure.

Thanks for your input :)

Even though I can't relate to your situation, pianola, my secret is this - I narrowed my schools to 13 and only applied to the ones I have the best confidence in and in the east coast.

As for the waiting, I hear ya. it is nothing but a big waiting game. imo, it's nothing but another test to see how patient you are before you break and go hystericalllll and go ga-ba-looo-ga-ga..:beat:

I find that whenever I'm stressed about this whole cycle, I take a deep breath, relax, and assure myself that I have done everything I can possibly do to get into med school. Now it is all up to the adcoms.

If all else fails, I go and watch a film with a couple of buds, so stay cool! :thumbup:

I listen to music, sing along and eat a lot of candy. I'm talking a LOT of candy. And curse out loud at the most hateful secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I find that whenever I'm stressed about this whole cycle, I take a deep breath, relax, and assure myself that I have done everything I can possibly do to get into med school. Now it is all up to the adcoms.

If all else fails, I go and watch a film with a couple of buds, so stay cool! :thumbup:

:) Very encouraging advice. I'm currently burning out somewhere around secondaries 8-9 of 19 (max). Congrats on doing what you need to do to keep it a lower-stress process.

And curse out loud at the most hateful secondaries.

The latter can be quite refreshing :laugh:.

Find an ocean or a lake. Either sit by the ocean or fish in the lake. I find that these are the most relaxing. Also, you may want to try running and working out extensively... that helps to take the edge off. Don't worry too much though... if you have done all that you can do, you will eventually achieve your goal.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

YAY! Maybe someone should start a bash-your-most-hateful-secondary-thread for comic relief. ;)

Ugh I totally sympathize. When I found out that september was "late" (someone mentioned the kiss of death?), i went and retched over the toilet for awhile.

in general, I make singing videos for youtube to relax, singing is great.

start with focusing on the schools you want to go to the most, then remember there are people with worse stats and 2-3x as many potential secondaries, drink a beer, laugh at the ridiculousness of this process and then go to work.

if you are in it for the right reasons then thinking about what you'd be doing if you decided to give up on the process might be motivating as well.

ok sorry here's my real tip: of your remaining ~10 schools, some secondaries are probably quickies with little to write other than basic stuff. others are probably longer and too hard to plow through quickly. Do one of each everyday, then you'll be done in 5 days. no problema.

regardless have faith that you've kicked ass thus far in your life, so you'll make it through this too.

:) Very Encouraging Advice. I'm Currently Burning Out Somewhere Around Secondaries 8-9 Of 19 (max). Congrats On Doing What You Need To Do To Keep It A Lower-stress Process.

The Latter Can Be Quite Refreshing :laugh:.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yay! Maybe Someone Should Start A Bash-your-most-hateful-secondary-thread For Comic Relief. ;)

Ooooh I'll Do It!! Great Idea!!!!

Ooooh I'll Do It!! Great Idea!!!!

:D

in general, I make singing videos for youtube to relax, singing is great.

Nice!

good food, exercise, painting, and sleep =)

chirashi bowl + sake = best :)

if you are in it for the right reasons then thinking about what you'd be doing if you decided to give up on the process might be motivating as well.

It is motivating sometimes, too. Really has sharpened my ideas about who I am and who I want to be. It's good to remember that when I get down, you're absolutely right.

link or it didn't happen

hmm i dont want to post it here, but maybe i'll PM it to you, if you actually want it. but youd have to promise not to share it.

I havent posted my newest video, somebody to love, but i think i already have 9 up.

I find, for me, it's not the apps so much as everything else getting in the way. This past weekend I left the city, told everyone not to contact me (which they sort of cooperated with), and set everything else aside (more or less) for two days. I knocked out five apps, which I thought was significant, esp since one of them had bothered me for almost a month :(

I also like looking at puppies.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's kind of weird. I'm very, very calm about this whole thing.

I guess the last few months of my life have really let me focus on the important things, and become less neurotic.

Play Claire de Lune, then follow it up with the Schinder's List theme, then realize that it's awesome you have such talents and there's more to life than getting into Medical School, which will happen anyway.

hmm i dont want to post it here, but maybe i'll PM it to you, if you actually want it. but youd have to promise not to share it.

I havent posted my newest video, somebody to love, but i think i already have 9 up.

I am interested and I wouldn't share. If you are comfortable send it my way. =)

I definitely do not have enough Debussy in my life right now.

Reverie is also one of my favs

Edit: Wow...and after watching that link in your profile, I just spent a half hour laughing my ass off with my roommate (who plays violin) at the Mozart Bond, I Will Survive, and the Rachmaninov Had Big Hands performances.

Last edited:
Play Claire de Lune, then follow it up with the Schinder's List theme, then realize that it's awesome you have such talents and there's more to life than getting into Medical School, which will happen anyway.

serious- john williams for the win:thumbup:

I haven`t really been stressed- done with most of the schools I`d like to go to, but still gotta tackle a couple bigger ones (DUKE)

Reverie is also one of my favs

Yes, should definitely add that to the playlist tonight. I really enjoyed learning some of the Debussy preludes -- they really evoke very visual, almost realistic sound-images of their titles. Ah music! Apparently impressionistic styles are my forte (relative to other styles, that is). Do you play???

Yes, I will need to open up another part of my brain to fill out the Duke secondary -- the essays are totally unlike the other ones I've done so far. :(

Yes, should definitely add that to the playlist tonight. I really enjoyed learning some of the Debussy preludes -- they really evoke very visual, almost realistic sound-images of their titles. Ah music! Apparently impressionistic styles are my forte (relative to other styles, that is). Do you play???

Yeah, I played through the end of high school, and have played just for fun since then.

Yeah, I played through the end of high school, and have played just for fun since then.

Nice, nice. I like having the freedom to play what I want, when I feel like it post-music major :)

Also to calm your nerves you should organize that SDN FL get together you mentioned the other night! :thumbup:

Also to calm your nerves you should organize that SDN FL get together you mentioned the other night! :thumbup:

Actually, it's not a bad idea. I was thinking about it last night -- we'd have to decide where to meet, though. Florida's not quite like Palo Alto where it's easy to get around and the population density is really high (lived in Palo Alto last summer). Also, I have no car for the summer (effectively). :(.

Well, I'll keep thinking and maybe someone else with planning and organizational skills will jump at the idea. I think we need a shemarty in Florida ;).

OK, bedtime. It's far too late EST! :)

Last edited:
I am interested and I wouldn't share. If you are comfortable send it my way. =)

ok sending it =)

i'd post the newest one but...... I started it bending over typing at my computer, and you can see ALL THE WAY DOWN MY SHIRT. im tryin gto find some video editing software to see if i can black out that part of the video lol, the audio was so good!