CalSouthern University Psyd?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Triage33

Traveler
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will anyone advise me as to the validity of the CalSouthern PsyD program? I have 2 MS's from B&M schools but no time for that now and want to gain another degree.

Members don't see this ad.

I have 2 MS's from B&M schools but no time for that now and want to gain another degree.

Then you have no time for a doctorate....:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
They are accredited regionally, but not by APA so there would be some limits getting jobs with VA/military and maybe licensing in some states.

Then you have no time for a doctorate....:rolleyes:

LOLOL so true! I am only in a masters program right now (hope that will change next year!!) and between my 4 classes, research assistant position, 20 hour/week clinical practica, and part time bar job, I barely have time to eat!! Oooh how I look forward to the rigors of doctoral work....

Actually, the program ISN'T accredited regionally but is accredited nationally. I would be worried about any program that doesn't AT LEAST have regional accreditation. I really don't know what there is to gain from such a program. Training is minimal as it is entirely online; no regional accreditation means no licensure in most states; teaching opportunities and/or research opportunities will be virtually non-existant for graduates from such a program; respect will also be difficult to attain for graduates from such a program.

In the end, what would you gain from the program? What would make it worth the time and money? If you can't teach, practice, become licensed, gain respect as a doctor, etc. why attend a doctoral program?

Reactions: 1 user
Most of the last post is not true. The program is under a new accreditation branch that is equal to regional accreditation and accepted as such. Reginal means regional and they could not figure out how to accredit quality distance learning programs, so they created a new brance or accreditation. Most states will accept such a degree for licensure. The rest may be true, but not for everyone. I actually know a colleague with a degree from this institution, who is licensed in 3 states (of choice), and is a major force in the integrated care realm. I certainly do not think this program is the best, or even close, but it is certainly no worse than Argosy, Walden, or even Alliant.

Most of the last post is not true. The program is under a new accreditation branch that is equal to regional accreditation and accepted as such. Reginal means regional and they could not figure out how to accredit quality distance learning programs, so they created a new brance or accreditation. Most states will accept such a degree for licensure. The rest may be true, but not for everyone. I actually know a colleague with a degree from this institution, who is licensed in 3 states (of choice), and is a major force in the integrated care realm. I certainly do not think this program is the best, or even close, but it is certainly no worse than Argosy, Walden, or even Alliant.

I am sorry to inform you but DETC accreditation isn't regional accreditation. States that require regional accreditation won't accept DETC accreditation. From the DETC website: Accrediting Commission of the DETC was established in 1955; shortly thereafter it gained the approval of the U.S. Department of Education as the "nationally recognized accrediting agency" under terms of Public Law www.detc.org. Additionally, The biggest problem with DETC accreditation is that regionally accredited schools don't view it as their equal. While credits from regionally accredited schools may transfer to other regionally accredited schools easily, credits from DETC accredited schools are often looked upon with suspicion. Even some schools with DETC accreditation view transcripts from regionally accredited schools as superior. http://distancelearn.about.com/od/accreditationinfo/a/DETC.htm. In fact, most states WILL NOT accept such a degree as licensure. Most states laws specify that that the degree must have been granted by a regionally accredited school, which CalSouthern is not. I am not bashing CalSouthern, but we need to make sure individuals that pursue this kind of degree realize that there are limitations to said degrees. Just because two or three states accept national accreditation doesn't mean the other 48 do.

From Indiana code; you will notice no mention of DETC. This is just one of many many examples. If you do a search of individual states, you will find similar standards for most states.

Rule 4. Educational Qualifications for Certification
868 IAC 1.1-4-1 Doctoral degree in psychology Authority: IC 25-33-1-3 Affected: IC 25-33-1-2; IC 25-33-1-5.1 Sec. 1. Degree programs will be approved by the board for the purpose
of licensure if they meet the following criteria: (1) The academic unit is in a recognized institution of higher learning as defined in 868 IAC 1.1-1-1(d) to offer the doctoral degree in psychology.

(d) "Recognized institution of higher learning" means an institution that grants a doctoral degree in psychology as defined in
868 IAC 1.1-4-1 and is recognized by one (1) or more of the following: (1) Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada. (2) Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools/Commission on Higher Education. (3) New England Association of Schools and Colleges-Commission on Institutions of Higher Learning. (4) North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. (5) Northwest Association of Colleges and Schools. (6) Southern Association of Colleges and Schools-Commission on Colleges. (7) Western Association of Schools and Colleges-Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges.
(State Psychology Board; Rules 2 to 2.9; filed Jul 13, 1979, 9:07 a.m.: 2 IR 1132; filed Nov 22, 1985, 4:33 p.m.: 9 IR 773; filed Jul 23, 1987, 9:15 a.m.: 10 IR 2739; filed May 8, 1992, 5:00 p.m.: 15 IR 1956; filed May 15, 1998, 10:05 a.m.: 21 IR 3932; readopted filed Apr 23, 2001, 11:30 a.m.: 24 IR 2896; readopted filed Oct 4, 2007, 3:32 p.m.: 20071031-IR-868070065RFA)

And how is this an example of "most states"? You seem to have no understanding of accreditation and what is means and does not mean; psych licensing and accreditation agencies have no relationship at all. As a psychologist who has been licensed for 10 years I have to say that reading the "stuff" on a state's psych board website is only the very tip of the iceburg of information required to understand licensing law in that state. I have no relations with calsouthern, but I do know that national accreditation is new, accepted by all boards that accept regional, and the person I know has a license in Ca, Az, and is a prescribing psych in NM.

And how is this an example of "most states"? You seem to have no understanding of accreditation and what is means and does not mean; psych licensing and accreditation agencies have no relationship at all. As a psychologist who has been licensed for 10 years I have to say that reading the "stuff" on a state's psych board website is only the very tip of the iceburg of information required to understand licensing law in that state. I have no relations with calsouthern, but I do know that national accreditation is new, accepted by all boards that accept regional, and the person I know has a license in Ca, Az, and is a prescribing psych in NM.

This is just one of many examples. The above post is the actual state code. It clearly defines what accrediting bodies it will accept. I was interested in CalSouthern at one time and contacted several state licensing boards. I was told that if the school was not accredited by one of the six regional accrediting boards, the degree would not be eligible for licensure (Indiana, Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania, for example). There are a few states that do accept DETC accreditation; California and Washington, for example, but these are few and far between.

I am not making this up; check with individual states and see for yourself.

From the Illinois website: 1) In determining equivalent programs, the following minimum standards shall be met:

A) The program is from a regionally accredited university, college or school;

From Louisiana: C. A graduate of a doctoral program that is neither listed in Designate Doctoral Programs in Psychology nor accredited by the American Psychological Association must meet Criteria 1 through 11 below.

1. Training in professional psychology is doctoral training offered in a regionally accredited institution of higher education.

I can go on and on!

This offers a nice example of why APA-acred. is the standard for doctoral level clinical/counseling psychology. I don't know of the particular program, but I do know licensure can be a huge PITA. I'm living the hoop jumping now (licensure)...and it is far more nit-picky that most can imagine. Do yourselves a favor and only consider residentially-based, established, APA-acred. programs.

Agreed Therapist4Change, at least as a practical measure. APA accred is actually quite a scam as a measure of true quality, but that is another topic indeed.
My point was that there are quite a few loop holes to licensure that are not on a psych board's website as obviously as their basic criteria such as granting a license without meeting said criteria if one has been licensed w/o problems in another state for a period of time, credentials can be considered equivalent such as with foreign grads, and the boards have the authority to make an exception for anyone.
I don't advocate doing it this way, but it is doable.

I am in GA and the guidelines are so ambiguous that I decided to call the State office that handles licensure. That went no where...the discussion consisted of so many "what-if's" (which I hate) that I ask for someone else with more experience to call me. I am still lost as to what to do.:scared:

Go to a legitimate, established program if you need a doctorate. There is no reason to torture yourself with more hoops and potential risks than is necessary.

However, more importantly, have you assessed whether you need a doctorate for what you want to do?