Cambies experience in the OR as a patient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CambieMD

cambiemd
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had my appendix taken out two days ago. I had a great OR experience. The surgeon performed a lap appy in about .5 hr. My anesthesia was great. I declined versed prior to going back to the OR. I remembered the anesthesiologist talking to me , then I realized that I was in recovery. I was pain free when I woke up.

My excellent anesthesia care contributed greatly to my positive perception of my hospital stay.

There are those who will try to downplay the importance of anesthesia care. They call all of us anesthesia. They act like we are slowing them down when in fact we are doing everything in our power to keep the pt safe and keep things moving along.

We fight the negativity that some may try to exhibit by using the principal of A3. We must be affable, available and back everything up with ability.

Cambie

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We fight the negativity that some may try to exhibit by using the principal of A3. We must be affable, available and back everything up with ability.

Cambie

long day there, treasure??

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my appendix taken out two days ago. I had a great OR experience.

Was this at the hospital you worked at? If so, you realize that - if you are anything other than "average" down there - the scrub techs and nurses are going to be talking about you for months.

-copro

Was this at the hospital you worked at? If so, you realize that - if you are anything other than "average" down there - the scrub techs and nurses are going to be talking about you for months.

-copro

No,I went to a small community hospital where no one knew me.

Cambie

I curious as to why?

I really did not care if anyone who knew me saw me in the raw. I did not want to have to wait. There is a hunger in private practice that you do not usually see in a teaching hospital. Everyone just wanted to get it done.
The ducks were all lined up. The ER was in constant communication with the surgeon. I always knew why I was waiting.

Also, I did not want to get bumped by a MVC or a GSW.

I still in a little pain but I am making a speedy recovery.

I have faith in my hospital but the logistics sometimes can add to your suffering.

Cambie

I really did not care if anyone who knew me saw me in the raw. I did not want to have to wait. There is a hunger in private practice that you do not usually see in a teaching hospital. Everyone just wanted to get it done.
The ducks were all lined up. The ER was in constant communication with the surgeon. I always knew why I was waiting.

Also, I did not want to get bumped by a MVC or a GSW.

I still in a little pain but I am making a speedy recovery.

I have faith in my hospital but the logistics sometimes can add to your suffering.

Cambie

Thanks

How about more than average?

I said "anything other than average". So, yes, it goes both ways.

There is a rather infamous rumor about a colorectal surgeon at our hospital who is kind of a sexist a-hole. He's been here forever. A lot of the newer nurses can't stand him. He's balding. He's goofy looking. He's kind of a jerk. He's one of those types who sort of throws his power around. Yet, all the older women who've been around for umpteen years seem to fawn all over him.

Well, story goes that dude had to have an emergency appy several years ago. And, it all happened at our hospital. Just so happens guy came to work, got sick, and they decided it had to be one of those "middle of the day" emergency surgeries. So, most regular staff were still there. As the now somewhat ancient lore goes - and this was well before the days of HIPAA - people were lining up to see "it".

I asked one of the older scrub techs one time if it was true. She simply said, "yes," in a blank-faced, completely matter-of-fact voice. I then said, "Come on, you've been doing this for 20+ years. I'm sure you've completely lost count on the number you've seen."

She said, "Well, I'll never forget that one. It was magnificent."

-copro