Creflo

time to eat
10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Domino's
Can anyone give info on Camp Lejune living? Such as what is a good area to live, traffic, is the water on base safe, etc.? I'll be stationed there next year, thanks for any info.

BOHICA-FIGMO

Belt-fed Physician
10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
High and right
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Can anyone give info on Camp Lejune living? Such as what is a good area to live, traffic, is the water on base safe, etc.? I'll be stationed there next year, thanks for any info.
If you are single, you will want to live near wilmington, which is about a 1 hr drive. If you are married and want to live closer, country club hills, Williamsburg plantation, and Carolina Forrest (in Jaxvegas) are good options, as are Snaeads ferry (south), and swansboro/cape carteret to the north.

Traffic is horrendous any way you cut it. I live in Jacksonville proper and it takes me about 30-40 minutes in the summer, 45-60 min in the winter to go exactly 10miles door to door. This is due to the battalions shifting PT times based on temperature and light.

Water on base is safe. Base housing is a mixed bag, but mostly okay.

mdmed2012

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Driving from Sneads Ferry to takes me about 20-30 minutes in the morning. Typically, the gate isn't terribly backed up so traffic is tolerable. Once I'm on base it is pretty smooth. If you are working at the hospital, it will take a bit longer, since you have to drive across the entire base. I've had to navigate the front gate traffic but I hear it is a nightmare, as BOHICA said.

d2305

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2013
Pensacola FL
Status
Non-Student
Thanks for reminding me. I was poisoned there due to a contaminated well. Got a letter from a General and a long survey to complete. I thought the hospital was near the front gait now. Used to be on hospital point.

mdmed2012

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for reminding me. I was poisoned there due to a contaminated well. Got a letter from a General and a long survey to complete. I thought the hospital was near the front gait now. Used to be on hospital point.
It is by the front gate. I left out a word - I meant I have never had to navigate the front gate. When I say driving across base to the hospital, I'm talking from the back gate.

pgg

Laugh at me, will they?
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2005
Home Again
Status
Attending Physician
I was there 2003-6. With a family, 3 very small kids, Jacksonville was a nice place to live. If I had been single I probably would've been less happy. Not exactly a high culture area.

Traffic was horrendous then. I bet it's worse now.

OP
C

Creflo

time to eat
10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Domino's
Thanks for the replies so far, I should have given more details about what we are looking for. Also, just realized I didn't know how to spell Lejeune, sorry. It will be my wife and I, no kids. I am looking to minimize the commute time, but she is more interested in living off base. We were thinking something near the water if we can afford it. I am typically happy with simple lifestyle like decent food and maybe a dirt bike or jet ski to play with, but she is sort of bummed because she wants to live in a larger city. I'll also do a new search with the correct spelling of Lejeune, no wonder I didn't see much on here...

numberwunn

7+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A lot of officers live in Emerald Isle (north) or Sneads Ferry/topsail island (south). My wife and I lived in Sneads Ferry and loved it. More reasonable than living on the beach, but were close enough to sneak over in the afternoon after work to surffish. Quiet community and reasonable drive (30-40 min, if memory serves, but no traffic). If you push further south, you can get reasonably close to Wilmington.

Tadgie

Aged child
10+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Status
Attending Physician
Topsail is your best bet if you want a life- wilmington is a nice town and not too far of a hike from there. I made the mistake of living near Richlands to keep the wife happy- commuting was terrible. Fortunately, I could come in whenever I wanted, so I was able to wait for the traffic to die down. City is pretty boring otherwise. You can find plenty of people to hang out with, just not many places to do it at.

WIinNC

5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2012
Status
Dental Student
If your wife wants a city, the only thing she will be remotely happy with is Wilmington. If you want something halfway between base and Wilmington, go live in Surf City (on the beach) or live in Holly Ridge (slightly inland, but still close to the beach). My wife and I live on North Topsail Beach which could be renamed Lt Island (Marine Lts that is), but it's a trek to any Target/Wally World/sign of life; it's still better than Jacksonville, which is a black hole that sucks up anything decent or culturally interesting this world has to offer (you will come to hate Jacksonville very early on). Whatever you do, live north of base or south of base. Don't live anywhere near Jacksonville.

OP
C

Creflo

time to eat
10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Domino's
Thanks for the replies so far. Also wanted to ask what cell service works best in the hospital and nearby areas? I know that NAS Jacksonville has a Sprint repeater/tower on the hospital, and the attendings carry Sprint cell phones instead of pagers. Is this standard at all Navy hospitals?

Jan 21, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Oh gosh is there anything people liked about Camp Lejeune, sounds horrible and I need something to look forward to.

pgg

Laugh at me, will they?
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2005
Home Again
Status
Attending Physician
Oh gosh is there anything people liked about Camp Lejeune, sounds horrible and I need something to look forward to.
I mostly enjoyed my tour there. Again, 2003-6 so it's been a long while. Working for the Marines can be a great experience. In general those of us on the Division side seemed to have better experiences than those on the Group side. I figured as long as I was going to have to be a GMO at Lejeune, might as well go for the whole green side experience, so I asked for an infantry battalion, and I'm glad I did.

It's a good place to be FROM ... whether or not it's a good place to BE kind of depended on the day and my mood. There will be positives to being there. As for the negatives, they too shall pass.

Jan 21, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I mostly enjoyed my tour there. Again, 2003-6 so it's been a long while. Working for the Marines can be a great experience. In general those of us on the Division side seemed to have better experiences than those on the Group side. I figured as long as I was going to have to be a GMO at Lejeune, might as well go for the whole green side experience, so I asked for an infantry battalion, and I'm glad I did.

It's a good place to be FROM ... whether or not it's a good place to BE kind of depended on the day and my mood. There will be positives to being there. As for the negatives, they too shall pass.
Thanks for the info. So all I got so far as that I will be with MEF... can I request division in that case?

pgg

Laugh at me, will they?
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2005
Home Again
Status
Attending Physician
In my GMO days all of the Division side units were 'victor' units (all male), so female GMOs couldn't take those billets. Someone else will have to chime in with whether or not that policy is still in effect.

155HE

7+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
In my GMO days all of the Division side units were 'victor' units (all male), so female GMOs couldn't take those billets. Someone else will have to chime in with whether or not that policy is still in effect.
Female GMOs are being integrated into Artillery battalions slowly--it might be available if you ask. I also know a female FP who was an arty reg surgeon. No female infantry, CAB, tank, or recon Bn surgeons (yet?). Females can also be the Division HQ battalion surgeon.

Tadgie

Aged child
10+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Status
Attending Physician
So far there have been females at Tanks, Tracks, arty and the regiments. Recon and Infantry are still no-go for females, LAR is possibly up for grabs, but they're treating it like a victor unit for now.