Campbell/Reece Textbook good for a MCAT bio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FightingIrish01

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was wondering...and I know people recommend take higher level bio courses.. but does Campbell/Reece suffice for all the stuff on MCAT? I mean does the MCAT go higher than genetics or physiology portions in Campbell Reece? Campbell Reece is actually a pretty in depth book if you look at everything from the chapters, so what are your suggestions and why do people recommend higher level Bio courseS?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I was wondering...and I know people recommend take higher level bio courses.. but does Campbell/Reece suffice for all the stuff on MCAT? I mean does the MCAT go higher than genetics or physiology portions in Campbell Reece? Campbell Reece is actually a pretty in depth book if you look at everything from the chapters, so what are your suggestions and why do people recommend higher level Bio courseS?

thats tthe best bio book ever.....too bad my damn year we didnt have it as our main textbook...:mad:

Hey,

i don't know but that is what i am using and it has been helpful. some concepts are too condensed to understand in the MCAT prep books text

Campbell/Reece provided good detail to fill up the gaps in my knowledge of biology that you really couldn't get from Kaplan's Review, especially when it came to the immune response (e.g., B-Cells/T-Cells) and other things not covered in genetics and biochem.

Talking about genetics and biochem, taking those classes is a good way to get that all-important material into the grey matter. Learning those topics at the college level teaches you the "mental gymnastics" you need to excel at the MCAT, an experience that you won't get from learning from a textbook and its review problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't taken any higher level courses, but I spent a truly horrific amount of time studying the Campbell/Reese textbook, and bio is by far the subject on the MCAT that I feel best prepared for. As with all things you can always go further in any particular subject but if you are trying to find one textbook that will neatly cover all of the bio you need for the MCAT, I have been very satisfied with the preparation the C/R textbook has given me.

-rhett

Reviving this topic, as it is the path I am following. Wondering if anyone has been doing the same recently... I plan to map the mcat bio content to Campbell 9th edition chapters, so you don't have to read the entire 1500 pages.

Has anyone, perhaps the OP, had success studying to the MCAT bio through Campbell's?

You're only reading Campbell for bio? I also read Molecular Biology of the Gene cover to cover. I needed that information to get my 15.

I used Campbell & Reece for my bio class and it gave me a very solid foundation for my MCAT studying. It contains much more information than you need to know though for the MCAT though (even when you only look at the relevant chapters). I would stick with the content review books and use Campbell to expand on the topics you're having trouble on. Reading through every single detail and pathway in Campbell is not a very efficient use of your studying time in my opinion.

I'm actually reading the corresponding textbook chapters before I read the chapters from EK. I know it has a lot of extraneous information, but it might help you remember later. Just don't pay attention to the little details.