Campbell University (CUSOM) DIscussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Matriculating (MS1) here in July for the inaugural class,
feel free to ask questions, concerns, input, etc on here or message me. Ill be around the forum regularly at least until classes start.... after that, ill see what I can do!

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Matriculating (MS1) here in July for the inaugural class,
feel free to ask questions, concerns, input, etc on here or message me. Ill be around the forum regularly at least until classes start.... after that, ill see what I can do!

Good luck!

What made you choose an inaugural class? That must be exciting

What made you choose an inaugural class? That must be exciting

You asked for it, so here it is...

I went with the school I thought would give me the most opportunity to succeed, was all around the strongest, and most importantly, where I felt comfortable.
CUSOM happened to be all those things and was coincidently a new program. I weighed the pros and cons of being the inaugural class and decided the chance to be an impact maker on the program, school and greater community (Harnett County and NC) was a rare opportunity and unique privilege! I'm on board with the mission and vision that our university and CUSOM leadership and faculty have cast and think being part of the solution to address the needs that exist are ambitious but significant and they hold common threads with the reasons and people I chose to enter medicine for.

any idea what stats are looking like for the 1st class?

Not gonna lie, it's pretty exciting to see a new group already! It seems like just yesterday when I applied here. Future OMS-1 here, if any new applicants have any questions.

You asked for it, so here it is...

I went with the school I thought would give me the most opportunity to succeed, was all around the strongest, and most importantly, where I felt comfortable.
CUSOM happened to be all those things and was coincidently a new program. I weighed the pros and cons of being the inaugural class and decided the chance to be an impact maker on the program, school and greater community (Harnett County and NC) was a rare opportunity and unique privilege! I'm on board with the mission and vision that our university and CUSOM leadership and faculty have cast and think being part of the solution to address the needs that exist are ambitious but significant and they hold common threads with the reasons and people I chose to enter medicine for.

I definitely agree! Also, I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a nicer group of faculty and administration. I really feel like they would do anything for us! The location is rural, but still close to Raleigh (a beautiful city) and a short drive to the beach (Wilmington) for off days. See you in July, Mosonik!

Last edited:
Does this school have a heavy regional bias?

No, they do not. While I'm sure it is an advantage to be IS, I think they said that it was 40% in state / 60% out of state for the first class (I'm also not from the region). You do need to show a willingness to stay in the area though because the school's mission is to create physicians for NC (and specifically Harnett County).

How do you do that? It's not like I've shadowed or worked with physicians in NC. Do I just say it and give reasons why it WOULD be good for me?

I guess just try to give them an idea that you are open to staying in the state. I just talked about how I have lived in rural areas my whole life and love the small town culture. I also talked about the natural beauty of the state, and how it reminded me of my home state. I am also a bit of an outdoorsmen, so I mentioned how I can continue that hobby during breaks while there. I also talked about the contacts that I would make while in NC, and the multiple residency opportunities in NC. I guess you would have to tailor your response to your own experiences, but just be ready for the question on if you plan on staying in the area after graduation.

Ok gotcha. Thanks a ton!

FutureDO makes a good point. But like he said, tailor your response to your own experience. I told them I will be pursuing a career with the Navy after graduation, and will eventually return to NC later in life/my medical career as my parents are retiring in Raleigh. So it doesn't necessarily have to be right away after graduation or residency, just have to show some interest on returning or staying in the area eventually.

Members don't see this ad :)
Went here for Undergrad. Just visited for a friend's graduation. Nothing's really changed that much, a Subway is now next to campus, so let me know if you have any questions about life at the school etc.

3.7 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, 26 MCAT
From Ohio.

Lets hope I get some love.

Hi all, I am an AZ resident. I am hopeful some of you can give me some input about my chance of getting into medical school. I am graduating this May from Arizona state university (west campus) majoring in Life Science. I took the Mcat in January the first time and got a 29 (BS 11, PS 10, VR 8). Here is some of my curricular:
Life Science major
3.66 Sci and 3.71 overall GPA
Mcat 29 (first time in this January)
volunteer at a primary care doctor's office for more than 1 year
research assistant about threatened marine species (since the beginning of this year, will continue after i graduate). will present a poster at the end of this semester
member of pre-med club
volunteered at a hospital in the pharmacy department for about a year. I was initially gonna go for pharmacy when starting college but realized that it's not for me.
volunteered for mentoring for autism children over one summer.
shadowing with 1 MDs primary care (10 hours), 1 DO primary care (60 hours), and 2 NMDs (30 hours)
certified pharmacy technician
just started working as an office assistant at the primary care doc's office that i have been volunteered. Duties include: checking in and out for pt, verify insurance, answering phone calls, assist in the billing department, taking pt vitals, call insurance to obtain primary authorization of meds for pt, etc.
math tutor for 2 years and a half at a community college
volunteer for food bank, sort and pack medical instruments and ship to third world countries, etc (50 hours across 2 years)
LOR from a DO (shadowed) , MD (the one I work for), o-chem and cell biology instructors.
Sorry if this pose has been too long. I just want to provide as much information as I can. Thank you a lot for your input. I will submit my application on the first day that AACOMAS opens.
How is my chance of getting into medical school? is there anything I can do to improve it more?

Hi all, I am an AZ resident. I am hopeful some of you can give me some input about my chance of getting into medical school. I am graduating this May from Arizona state university (west campus) majoring in Life Science. I took the Mcat in January the first time and got a 29 (BS 11, PS 10, VR 8). Here is some of my curricular:
Life Science major
3.66 Sci and 3.71 overall GPA
Mcat 29 (first time in this January)
volunteer at a primary care doctor's office for more than 1 year
research assistant about threatened marine species (since the beginning of this year, will continue after i graduate). will present a poster at the end of this semester
member of pre-med club
volunteered at a hospital in the pharmacy department for about a year. I was initially gonna go for pharmacy when starting college but realized that it's not for me.
volunteered for mentoring for autism children over one summer.
shadowing with 1 MDs primary care (10 hours), 1 DO primary care (60 hours), and 2 NMDs (30 hours)
certified pharmacy technician
just started working as an office assistant at the primary care doc's office that i have been volunteered. Duties include: checking in and out for pt, verify insurance, answering phone calls, assist in the billing department, taking pt vitals, call insurance to obtain primary authorization of meds for pt, etc.
math tutor for 2 years and a half at a community college
volunteer for food bank, sort and pack medical instruments and ship to third world countries, etc (50 hours across 2 years)
LOR from a DO (shadowed) , MD (the one I work for), o-chem and cell biology instructors.
Sorry if this pose has been too long. I just want to provide as much information as I can. Thank you a lot for your input. I will submit my application on the first day that AACOMAS opens.
How is my chance of getting into medical school? is there anything I can do to improve it more?

Hello, Go Devils! I am matriculating here in the fall.
Stats and experiences look solid. Just write a strong PS and put in effort into your secondaries you and should have a good chance, here and elsewhere. With CUSOM specifically, and being from the Valley, you want to show you are committed to similar areas that fit with the mission here, underserved, NC as a state, rural, etc. Be sure you know why this school?

So this is taken from the CUSOM website:

"What is the minimum GPA?

Applicants should have achieved at least a 3.0 sciences and cumulative grade point average (GPA), on a 4.0 scale. The minimum overall GPA for acceptance is 3.2. The admissions process is competitive, and a higher grade point average (above 3.0) results in improved chances for acceptance."

someone with a GPA in between 3.0 and 3.19 will have a difficult time deciphering this obscure paragraph.

...so which one is it?

3.0 or 3.2??

So this is taken from the CUSOM website:
"What is the minimum GPA?
Applicants should have achieved at least a 3.0 sciences and cumulative grade point average (GPA), on a 4.0 scale. The minimum overall GPA for acceptance is 3.2. The admissions process is competitive, and a higher grade point average (above 3.0) results in improved chances for acceptance."
someone with a GPA in between 3.0 and 3.19 will have a difficult time deciphering this obscure paragraph.
...so which one is it?
3.0 or 3.2??

I was told last year the minimum was a 3.2cGPA/3.0sGPA. Hope that helps.

I'm pretty sure it's 3.2 for both science and cum.

I am re-applying this year, but I hope this information might help...

My cgpa was less than a 3.2, my sgpa was above a 3.2. I applied in late February, interviewed in the last group and made it to the middle tier of the wait list.

To improve my chances this year I am taking a night time course (retake of a C+ course), increasing my volunteer and shadowing time (weekends), and taking practice mcats with the idea of a possible retake if I start to see a significant improvement in my practice mcat scores.

Doing some more research here.....you guys/gals are just 30 minutes from my in-laws and have a divinity school?

I'm going to go ahead and need that interview now ;)

I honestly don't know too much about this school. What are some thoughts about those who were accepted last cycle and what are the GPA and MCAT averages?

I honestly don't know too much about this school. What are some thoughts about those who were accepted last cycle and what are the GPA and MCAT averages?

Hey, I will be starting this August and am very excited for what CUSOM has to offer. I turned down PCOM, KCUMB, and UMDNJ for this school because I really do think they're on their way to something special.

Just a few things that got me hooked were:
Gorgeous, brand new medical school facility
Full-time faculty (mix of MD and DO)
Part of an established, well-respected undergrad academic university
4x the amount of sims than all other NC med schools + Cadaver Lab
Excited to have the opportunity to go on a medical mission to Tanzania
Systems/Case based curriculum
Student-run health clinic
Numerous rotation/clerkship positions throughout the state
Although the school is Christian based, they don't force their religion on you and welcome all, including Atheists like myself. They just want us to focus solely on medicine and our patients.
And the list goes on.

At first I had my doubts, and CUSOM was on the backburner for me since it was new and I knew nothing about it. But after my interview I fell in love.

My stats were:
3.50cGPA/3.35sGPA undergrad
3.9cGPA Masters
32Q MCAT

Good luck to all of you! Hope to see you guys walking through the halls next year.

Sounds like a very interesting school. I dug up a little more research on it and definitely am considering it a bit more.

How's the surrounding area of North Carolina?

Sounds like a very interesting school. I dug up a little more research on it and definitely am considering it a bit more.

How's the surrounding area of North Carolina?

The immediate area is rural and scenic, but the surrounding area has much to offer. I have lived on campus for about a week now, and I really like it so far! Raleigh is one of the nicest big cities that you will ever come across (40 minute drive), Fuquay-Varina is a nice smaller town with many restaurants and other entertainment options (20 minute drive), ski resorts in the Appalachian mountains (3 hour drive), Wilmington with its three amazing beaches (1.5 hour drive). You are also in the middle of the east coast, so you are within driving distance of many vacation destinations.

I'll be applying to CUSOM this cycle.

Have family in NC not too far away.

Raleigh, NC resident all my life

Applied

3.51 cGPA, 3.45sGPA, 28Q as of now, scheduled for a July 25 retake. I'd love to stay in NC for school, residency, and practice.

Lots of Music in undergrad, hospital volunteering, community volunteering, research, and working now as a medical assistant for a dermatology office.

Hope to get some love!

Reactions: 1 user

Applied

3.51 cGPA, 3.45sGPA, 28Q as of now, scheduled for a July 25 retake. I'd love to stay in NC for school, residency, and practice.

Lots of Music in undergrad, hospital volunteering, community volunteering, research, and working now as a medical assistant for a dermatology office.

Hope to get some love!

Your stats look good enough for an acceptance. Plus, being from the area helps because they are looking for people that are willing to stay in North Carolina after graduation. I don't know if I would worry about a retake, since a 28 is above average for newer schools such as Campbell. Also, your GPA is about average for an accepted applicant . Focus on writing quality secondaries, shadowing a DO (and get a LOR), and preparing for interviews. You should be just fine, but good luck to you anyway!

Applied

Hope to get some love!

I would say with your present MCAT score retaking is a big risk.

Your stats look good enough for an acceptance. Plus, being from the area helps because they are looking for people that are willing to stay in North Carolina after graduation. I don't know if I would worry about a retake, since a 28 is above average for newer schools such as Campbell. Also, your GPA is about average for an accepted applicant . Focus on writing quality secondaries, shadowing a DO (and get a LOR), and preparing for interviews. You should be just fine, but good luck to you anyway!

Thanks! I definitely want to stay in NC, I truly love the area. I plan to shadow a DO for three or four days soon and request a LOR. The 28 was below what I was averaging and I know I can do better. I'm also applying to MD schools so that's the reason for the retake.

I would say with your present MCAT score retaking is a big risk.

Thank you, I am confident my score will be at least a 30 on the retake. I averaged that on the two AAMC CBT's last week and still have 6 weeks to prepare.

Thanks! I definitely want to stay in NC, I truly love the area. I plan to shadow a DO for three or four days soon and request a LOR. The 28 was below what I was averaging and I know I can do better. I'm also applying to MD schools so that's the reason for the retake.

Thank you, I am confident my score will be at least a 30 on the retake. I averaged that on the two AAMC CBT's last week and still have 6 weeks to prepare.

I agree that your stats are competitive here (and probably ECU too). However, keep you in mind, higher MCAT offers you a better chance at scholarships here... and I'm sure you aren't opposed to that ;)

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or want more specifics about the program.

I agree that your stats are competitive here (and probably ECU too). However, keep you in mind, higher MCAT offers you a better chance at scholarships here... and I'm sure you aren't opposed to that ;)

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or want more specifics about the program.

Very good to hear! At the moment I am only aware of the North Carolina forgivable loan program. I haven't looked into school specific scholarships yet, I'd love to know more. I just looked at the CUSOM site and only saw a small section stating scholarships are available but specifics were not discussed.

Last edited:
Very good to hear! At the moment I am only aware of the North Carolina forgivable loan program. I haven't looked into school specific scholarships yet, I'd love to know more. I just looked at the CUSOM site and only saw a small section stating scholarships are available but specifics were not discussed.

PMed you

does anyone have the secondary prompts from last year?

3.5c 3.4s 25 MCAT
residency: ND
hopin for a shot!

I'm giving them a shot: Louisiana resident, 35 y/o non-trad with 3.5 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA and a 23 (10V/6P/7B) MCAT. 10 years in EMS, military. Grew up in a rural area, live and work in one now. Hopefully, I'll get at least an interview.

I'm giving them a shot: Louisiana resident, 35 y/o non-trad with 3.5 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA and a 23 (10V/6P/7B) MCAT. 10 years in EMS, military. Grew up in a rural area, live and work in one now. Hopefully, I'll get at least an interview.

med schools tend to love military...good luck and thanks for your service :thumbup:

I received an email from CUSOM this morning confirming receipt of my AACOMAS; however, I do not have a release date listed on my AACOMAS.

Has anyone else received this email?

I received an email from CUSOM this morning confirming receipt of my AACOMAS; however, I do not have a release date listed on my AACOMAS.

+1

Hopefully this means we will be moving through this process quickly soon.

Got the email as well!! The cycle is officially underway!! Good luck everyone!!