Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my acceptance here, hopefully someone from waitlist gets it. Good luck !

Sent from my LG-H901 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know an exact date of when waitlist rankings come out?

Just withdrew my acceptance. Hopefully someone else in waiting gets accepted! Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 1 user
accepted off the waitlist today! will be attending, and withdrawing elsewhere. Very excited, seems like a great place for my family!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone I just got accepted to Campbell off the waitlist today. Can somebody possibly send me the link to the Facebook page? Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone comment on the Charlotte rotation sites?
The Charlotte rotation sites are in a town about 40 minutes north of Charlotte called Salisbury. They are based out of the hospital in Salisbury and rotation for outpatient rotations in the communities surrounding Salisbury. I believe they have rotations in Charlotte that are available, but am not entirely sure how many or if they are on a case by case basis. The people who are in the Salisbury/Charlotte area seem very happy.

The Charlotte rotation sites are in a town about 40 minutes north of Charlotte called Salisbury. They are based out of the hospital in Salisbury and rotation for outpatient rotations in the communities surrounding Salisbury. I believe they have rotations in Charlotte that are available, but am not entirely sure how many or if they are on a case by case basis. The people who are in the Salisbury/Charlotte area seem very happy.

Thank you!

Sorry if this is earlier in the thread, but can someone comment on what the daily drive from Fuquay would be like?

Sorry if this is earlier in the thread, but can someone comment on what the daily drive from Fuquay would be like?
Its about 20-25 minutes depending on how diligently you follow the speed limit. It's not really that bad and I think its worth living in Fuquay as a trade off. I just signed my lease at Marquee Station and I'm really excited to live there!

Waitlist rankings are out--just got mine via email.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Got top-tier, but I will be withdrawing my place so hopefully it helps you all have better odds! Good luck everyone

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted off the top tier waitlist! So excited for this opportunity

Congratulations Member21!

Keeping my fingers crossed, I'm on the top-tier list as well.

Withdrew my acceptance from top tier today in favor for DMU. I was very impressed with this school and all of their GME accomplishments. Good luck to all still waiting!

So this may be a weird question, but how often are shirts taken off during OMM in the first block?

Thanks!

Last edited:
why? do you have an injury or something?

I'm getting surgery done in September/October on my back and the doc said it'll be scarred and sensitive.

I just don't want to have my shirt off and move my body too much with sutures and all showing.

I'm getting surgery done in September/October on my back and the doc said it'll be scarred and sensitive.

I just don't want to have my shirt off and move my body too much with sutures and all showing.

I'll be starting classes at CUSOM, so I don't know much about the shirt off policy.

But I'm sure if you showed medical proof that you wouldn't be taking your shirt off because of something like scars and new stitches, the faculty isn't gonna pester you about it too much.

Besides, maybe you can just take days off during a couple of days or something and have it as an excused absence or something.

Maybe current CUSOM students can comment.

Oh dang that sounds rough, well I hope you heal up nicely! As for taking the shirt off/anything too physically demanding, I think you will be fine, I think they will be very understanding of your situation :)!!

Apologies if this was already covered earlier in the thread, but does anybody know when classes would start??

Thanks!!

Apologies if this was already covered earlier in the thread, but does anybody know when classes would start??

Thanks!!

Orientation July 26-28, classes start July 31. I still can't find an academic calendar anywhere--this is just from the email they sent out.

Orientation July 26-28, classes start July 31. I still can't find an academic calendar anywhere--this is just from the email they sent out.
Yeah, I looked up CUSOM's calendar and it was blank-
Thanks so much!

Accepted. Will be withdrawing good luck to everyone on the WL hope it goes to one of you guys!

Accepted!!! So thankful. Looking forward to meeting the class! All the best for those waiting!!!

Accepted!!! So thankful. Looking forward to meeting the class! All the best for those waiting!!!

Congrats!!! Were you top tier WL?

Also, has anyone heard anything about whether they are doing rollover acceptances?

Congrats!!! Were you top tier WL?

Also, has anyone heard anything about whether they are doing rollover acceptances?
Thank you! Yes, I was top tier WL --
Not sure about your second question.. Anyone else??

Any current students know when we get our CUSOM issued laptops?

Any current students know when we get our CUSOM issued laptops?

I believe it's a couple of days before orientation. They have you come to school to get your parking permit, scrubs, some swag, and your laptop. I saw an orientation schedule for the Class of 2019 somewhere.

As a fourth year (who is familiar with this particular site) I'd like to also respond in part to these comments. The way this doctor felt treated by Campbell is sad and I won't try to justify that but I think there is a lot going on here besides simply bad administration.
This particular hospital I know has had a lot of turmoil since growing into a primary community teaching hospital for CUSOM and it still seems to be experiencing tension in that. There has also been a transition of Regional Deans a few months into this process last year which didn't help anything, as he left to start a new school.

I haven't always agree with Campbell's administrative decisions but I've never felt they neglected our education or didn't listen. In fact, they have been far more interested in our feedback through a nauseating amount of surveys and questionaires. I would say, with having friends at other "top" schools like UNC, our hiccups are more quickly responded to then theirs does because we lack large bureaucratic institutions and hospitals.

I think the biggest challenge is the dynamic for creating new rotations that occurs between hospital admin, community doctors and CUSOM admin who are still figuring out a system of handling problems. The OB rotation is in part the problem of OB services of private practices and the lack of providers in the area. I'm not sure what the situation regarding why its a gender division right now but I will just say, this is one example of the growing pains of our school establishing state wide rotations. This happens for my friends at Duke, UNC, and ECU too who do rotations in community hospitals so I'm not sure why this is being blown up so significantly.

All this to say, I think medical school has proven to be largely a process of personal initiative and once there, the more you can make of whatever situation you are in, the better you will be. I think you'll find with our board scores/pass rates and matches, there is not as big of a situation as appears here. All that to say, I do hope some of the above will be addressed sooner than later.
Hi! I have some questions for you as a fourth year at CUSOM but couldn't message you. Can you give me a message so I can speak to you? I'd really appreciate your help! Thanks!

I asked a student during my interview day and he said that he definitely finds it sufficient and uses it exclusively :)

I must have missed it during my interview day/forgot about it, but do we have to pay, in addition to the tuition+fees, for the CUSOM laptops? If so, did they say how much it would be? Thanks!

I must have missed it during my interview day/forgot about it, but do we have to pay, in addition to the tuition+fees, for the CUSOM laptops? If so, did they say how much it would be? Thanks!
Pretty certain it's included in our tuition/fees :) (that's what the student said)

Good luck to all applying! I will be an MS1 this fall, and would love to answer any question I can.

I have an interview at CUSOM on Monday! It is my first medical school interview every and I am super nervous. Do you have any advice?

I have an interview at CUSOM on Monday! It is my first medical school interview every and I am super nervous. Do you have any advice?

Congratulations on your first interview! The faculty who interview here are very friendly and will make you feel comfortable from the moment you walk in. Don't worry about them trying to intimidate you; I've had interviewers do that at other schools, but they don't here.

CUSOM is focused on training primary care doctors who will eventually work in underserved areas. They bring that up all the time during classes, so don't think it's something they just say but don't believe. I'm not saying that HAS to be your passion (I, for example, will probably not go that direction), but you need to convince them that it is. And who knows, it very well may become your passion once you start school.

They want to know who you are. They know your scores and grades. Forget that. Tell them what you've DONE. And it doesn't have to be all medical. I barely spent any time in a hospital prior to matriculation. Most of my volunteer service was spent volunteering at elementary schools teaching biology classes. What have you done? Was it medical? Non-medical? Doesn't matter; if you have made a difference in your community at all bring it up! And don't be bashful!

My last piece of advice is to make friends with the other interviewees. Heaven knows you need to stop stressing so much on interview day, and it looks really good to the interviewers when they see you can make friends easily.

You'll most likely do fine. You have been chosen early in the season, so you will most likely get in. Which means, make sure CUSOM is right for YOU! This interview needs to be two-way because sooner or later you will find yourself with multiple schools to choose from. Examine them just as much as they are examining you.

So I just sent my secondary and I got this

Thank you again for taking the time to complete your application to Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application has been placed on hold. Our committee is still interested in your candidacy and asked that your file be placed on hold for further review.

Hold? Does that mean I'm not complete?