Campus Life Outside of Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComradeDoktor

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... I'm at a med school that's attached to a huge university. Would it be "normal" for me as a medical student to go outside the med school bubble to go to events on the undergrad campus, or is that considered sketchy? I feel like I want to have some social life outside the 150 people in my med school class, but I'm worried it would look really bad if a med student started showing up to things meant for undergrads.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not go to events meant for grad students or other professional students? I'd think you'd have more in common with them than with most undergrads.

Yeah, cause when you're not studying you want to spend your down time with grad students.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP - yeah, go for it! it might be a little different for me since i went to undergrad at the same school where i'm in med school, but i'm still involved in a couple undergrad activities.

lol you must be a first year.

i do have great friends in my class who i enjoy hanging out with, but sometimes you need a change. too much time spent with the same 150 people. by the end of 1st year, i was longing for summer so i could just distance myself from the school for a few months and come back fresh. i know many other people felt the same way.

Who cares if you're creepy on a gigantic campus. Go prey on 18 year olds if that's your thang.

Reactions: 1 user
Who cares if you're creepy on a gigantic campus. Go prey on 18 year olds if that's your thang.

Jesus that's sinister. We're talking about partying. Even if he were to sleep with someone, a 1-2 year difference is SO creepy. I'd forgotten what prudes Americans can be.

Good point about the perceived creepiness though. Make friends with a few undergrads and make sure you go with them as opposed to by yourself, but that should be obvious.

I'm sure the mba kids and the other grad students are having parties?
Do you really want to be partying with undergrads anyway? If you do...do it.

Grad students at least are better at holding their alcohol :p

Besides, undergrads for the most part aren't bad to hang out with. It's not like every single person will be an 18 year old kid. There are 20-21 year old undergrads too! If you're in your early 20s, you aren't that much different. Ok, maybe a wee bit more of "life experience".

Like Ismet mentioned, it's also nice to get away from the small circle of your med school class. As much as I liked to hang out with classmates after exams, it was nice to make friends with people around town, and have people to go to bars or other fun activities(movies, bowling, basketball, etc.) during rotation years to get away from the "medicine bubble".

I serve as an advisor for an undergrad org that I was involved in during undergrad and also do mentoring type things with pre-med orgs and the pre-health office at my school. On the whole they're cool people that I don't mind spending what limited free time I have with.

Going to frat parties and hitting up newly arrived freshmen is weird, but there is nothing intrinsically wrong with spending time with younger students, especially if you share interests. Saying carte blanche "lol college ppl dum" smacks of high school idiocy.

Sent from my SGH-M919

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure the mba kids and the other grad students are having parties?
Do you really want to be partying with undergrads anyway? If you do...do it.

Yeah man, I mean, **** those guys I was hanging out with 5 months ago before I graduated, right? -super cool MS1

Sent from my SGH-M919

Hang out with undergrad friends if you still have them. Showing up by yourself at an undergrad event might not be the best idea for making friends.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jesus that's sinister. We're talking about partying. Even if he were to sleep with someone, a 1-2 year difference is SO creepy. I'd forgotten what prudes Americans can be.

Good point about the perceived creepiness though. Make friends with a few undergrads and make sure you go with them as opposed to by yourself, but that should be obvious.

What are you even talking about? Most girls tend to date guys 2-5 years older than them.

What are you even talking about? Most girls tend to date guys 2-5 years older than them.

Two points.

One fourth of women now marry guys younger than them. (I can get the article for you if you request it)

Do you not see the difference between dating a girl a few years younger than you and...um...going to parties where you're the older guy creeping on singularly undergrad girls? No...nothing clicking yet?

Two points.

One fourth of women now marry guys younger than them. (I can get the article for you if you request it)
This is obviously not a worldwide phenomenon. An overwhelming majority of women marry men older than them (>75%). I don't care either way, but 1/4th of all women sounds excessive.

Do you not see the difference between dating a girl a few years younger than you and...um...going to parties where you're the older guy creeping on singularly undergrad girls? No...nothing clicking yet?
Don't see a difference morally (I'll leave this one to the philosophers). Practically, of course. It's all about perception. If you're perceived as the creepy dude, you are the creepy dude. If you're perceived as the cool grad student slumming with the undergrads, that's who you are.

Practically, of course. It's all about perception. If you're perceived as the creepy dude, you are the creepy dude. If you're perceived as the cool grad student slumming with the undergrads, that's who you are.

I must be getting old. I remember back when who you were wasn't tied to strangers perceptions and tweeter updates. What ever happened to being yourself and that being who you are? Why do you even care how anyone else perceives you? I'm having a hard time even grasping the basis of this entire thread. Are you asking random strangers if its ok to be friends with certain people because someone might think something about you? To the above sentiment, you are not how you are perceived. Trying to live that lie is going to be a sad, sad life, particularly in medicine.

Now I remember why I dont come into the allo forum often.

Did you just wish to rant and/or were being deliberately obtuse, or did you actually wish to initiate a discussion?

Did you just wish to rant and/or were being deliberately obtuse, or did you actually wish to initiate a discussion?

Neither.

I simply pointed out that your statement was incorrect. Along with that I also made the point that social skills have gone the way of the dodo.

Carry on.

I take offense to your definition of creeping young undergrads. You have left out very important activities such as standing in the corner alone, sweating profusely and staring at one girl the entire night.

Neither.

I simply pointed out that your statement was incorrect. Along with that I also made the point that social skills have gone the way of the dodo.

Carry on.

Oh, you sweet-talker, you.

Then, may I point out that you misinterpreted my statement?

Are you asking random strangers if its ok to be friends with certain people because someone might think something about you?
- I'm quite certain I haven't said this in any of my posts.

Med students are still kids, and most physicians aren't quite grown up either.

What ever happened to being yourself and that being who you are?
- This is fluid.

Why do you even care how anyone else perceives you?

Let's face it, different things are important at different stages of life. That toy car was your world when you were 4. Just a toy car now, but that doesn't matter. Your mom hugging you outside school at 12 might seem like a joke now, but at that time it was mortifying. Just because it's silly now, doesn't mean it didn't mean something then. In our teens and early twenties, it's important how you're perceived since we're still figuring out what type of person we are as we switch from relying primarily upon the ventral striatum to the prefrontal cortex for decisions.We recognize that in any field, to be successful, networking is an important component - and we realize how difficult or easy that can be made based on others' perceptions.

Most importantly - just in terms of quality of life, social relationships are quite vital. http://www.powdthavee.co.uk/resources/valuing_social_relationships_15.04.pdf

Initiating a friendship costs time and effort. People who see you in a social setting are potential friends (we only meet so many people in our lives) and if they see you in poor light, even though that's not 'who you are', they are less likely to engage you and you'll never have a chance to know if you're kindred spirits.

So, when you say:
To the above sentiment, you are not how you are perceived.Trying to live that lie is going to be a sad, sad life, particularly in medicine.
No one is saying live a lie. I did not recommend 'not being who you are'. Please point it out, if I did. The point is that if others think well of you to start with, it gives you greater freedom to be yourself in public and lead a happier life. This is why we dress well, groom ourselves, speak well, are polite etc. As we grow older, this bit becomes second nature to us and we don't consciously have to pay as much attention to it anymore.

edit: This doesn't change the fact that, for all practical purposes, to the world, you are who you are perceived to be.

I remember back when who you were wasn't tied to strangers perceptions and tweeter updates.
- Honestly, this statement is full of crap. I don't think there has ever been a time when people were more accepting than now.

Last edited:
Oh, you sweet-talker, you.

Wow. You have a gift for verbosity, for breaking down the totality of the human condition into statistical analysis, and for defining your own generational lack of life experience. Well done sir, strong work.

Those who through life experience have had their eyes opened, rarely concern themselves with the perception of others. Thats my only point. I dont expect you to understand it completely, but one day you might have a life experience that opens your eyes and maybe, just maybe you will understand the point I'm making. I doubt it given your chosen career and life path, but I'm sure this is getting too existential for your analytical superpowers anyway. Its actually getting a little too existential for me as well! I was simply pointing out the sheltered viewpoints being described here, I had no intention of going full existential on you. :p

As the old creepy dude in your example, sucking the marrow out of life at every chance, allow me to say; you sir have made my point for me better than I ever could.

but one day you might have a life experience that opens your eyes and maybe, just maybe you will understand the point I'm making.
Perception is everything. Laconic enough?
allow me to say; you sir have made my point for me better than I ever could

Last edited:
:smack:

No disrespect meant, but son, you are way off.

:smack: indeed. The last post was more for humor than anything else. Let me restate it.

but one day you might have a life experience that opens your eyes and maybe, just maybe you will understand the point I'm making.
allow me to say; you sir have made my point for me better than I ever could

Laconic enough? I'm done btw. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I personally don't see a problem with it as long as you can hang your hat and relate to them by paying attention to what they are saying, perhaps. Just my experience. People are more willing to drive than be a passenger in the conversation vehicle...