SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

can´t get ophtho off my mind

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by gaseye, Apr 28, 2007.

1. gaseye

gaseye

Apr 27, 2007
    I have a real dilemma.

I recently matched into a fantastic anesthesia residency program. There is no ophthalmology department at my school, and I had no exposure to the field until last month when I did an elective rotation in the community. Well, I absolutely loved it.

I had previously written off all surgical sub-specialties as a result of my experiences on my GS rotation and a required fourth year rotation in plastics.
    But I didn´t realize how much cooler and different ophthalmology was from other surgical fields in many ways. You get some primary care, neat specialized diagnostics, cool technological devices, interesting visual physiology (i love phys) and short, anatomically contained procedures that have huge impacts on a patient´s quality of life. On top of this, you have a reasonable lifestyle and you are able to do very meaningful international work(which is very important to me).

So, now i find myself on the verge of my TY and I´m not sure what I should do. I like anesthesia quite a bit, and as I mentioned I am headed to a great program in a great location. However, I have to admit, I haven´t had any specialty in medicine grab me in the way that ophtho did last month.

Should I take rotations in both fields during internship and reassess? Part of me thinks that I should also see how optho is in it´s academic setting before coming to any conclusions. The problem with this is that I would then find myself with a gap year after internship in which I would not have a salary and would not be training.

The other problem is that it would be a huge bummer to give up my current position only to discover that I would not be seriously considered as a candidate for an ophthalmology position given my unorthodox route and the competitive nature of the field.

I feel that I was an exceptional candidate for anesthesia, and that I would have been a good candidate for ophtho (although not quite as sure about this?). My step 1/2 scores were 250/266, I was AOA and I had some pretty stellar general clinical LORs. However, of course I have zero research or letters in ophthalmology.

Anyway, have you had any experience with people who have been in similar situations? Any ideas as to which approach might be best for these circumstances?

Sorry for the long post, but I am thoroughly confused and concerned now. I almost wish that I had never even taken the ophtho rotation!

Thanks for any insight anyone might be able to offer.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. rubensan

rubensan Senior Member Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    there have been a few people on this forum that have successfully matched into ophthalmology from other specialties. An SDNer that comes to mind is DiveMD. it is difficult but not impossible. your board scores and strong LORs will make you a comptetive applicant. AOA can only help you. in life (ophthalmolgy is no exception) if you want some thing enough, you can make it happen. you have this e-community of fantastic individuals who can give you some great advice along the way. Good Luck!