Can a canadian dental student apply to a OMFS residency in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UofT9919

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you want to specialize is it better to go to a US dental school --> US OMFS or is it equally as hard/ easy (whichever way you want to look at it) if a canadian could graduate at a canadian dental school ---> US OMFS

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to specialize is it better to go to a US dental school --> US OMFS or is it equally as hard/ easy (whichever way you want to look at it) if a canadian could graduate at a canadian dental school ---> US OMFS

yes you can. I shadowed an OMFS in london ontario who did his ugrad at U of T, Tufts Dentistry, then OMFS residency in chicago.

Out of the 15 interviews I attended this cycle, I have met only 3 canadians that had graduated from canadian dental schools, and even fewer international students. As a Canadian myself, I think the hurdle is more of VISA issue than where you graduated from. If you do not hold permenant residency status or are not a citizen of US, you will not be able to apply to many OMFS programs, especially the dual-degree programs (eg. Parkland, LSU-Shreveport, UCLA, UCSF, Oregan, Case, Nebraska, NYU... the list goes on). This restriction is regardless of where you attend dental school. With that being said there are still many programs that consider canadians.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently attending uconn dental and wondering if you may shed some light on dual degree program offered to canadian residents. I would like to enroll in dual degree program. Do you think chances are slim or fair if you know atleast handful of programs to apply for.
I have an opportunity to get US greencard but If i have a choice i do not want it at this point.

if someone has a list of US dental schools that accept canadian resident( attended either US or canadian dental school) in OMFS dual or 4 years of degree program, please post it here.
that would be a great contribution to all members.