Can a caribbean graduate end up staying in the caribbeans?

Discussion in 'Saint George's University Forum (Sponsored)' started by ahmed17, Feb 22, 2011.

  1. ahmed17


    Sep 6, 2010
    Hi everyone,
    I know this sounds SOOOO extremely stupid....but is it possible for an SGU grad. to just specialize and practice in the Caribbeans?

    Thanks everyone for your input.
  2. donttazemebro


    May 21, 2010
    i'm gonna take a complete guess here, but i think the issue would be the income. I'd be surprised if the island docs make anything more than 50% of a comparable american physician.

    plus studying in the caribean will mean 200K of loans that you are responsible for also.

    and there may also be the issue of their residencies being available to foriegners or accepted by US/Canada/Uk.
  3. I don't see why not as long as you became a citizen of that country
  4. JuniorDoc

    JuniorDoc 2+ Year Member

    Mar 18, 2011
    I'm a SGU graduate actually, we were told that as SGU graduates you're automatically licensed in Grenada. However we were also told that that doesn't come with permission to work.

    IDK if you'd have to become a citizen, but as they have a number of foreign doctors it's likely that they'd be happy to have someone stay. Many (I think all but don't know) of the local physicians who participated in our clinical skills classes had completed residencies in the US, and UK. Like many countries, a number of their young physicians move to the US either after graduation (or with SGU perhaps during clerkships.)

Share This Page