Can a committee letter hurt you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorCakes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going through committee right now. My app is above average and they assign us a number 1-5 based on application, interview, LORs, etc. They said they rarely give out 5's and they also stated late documents will 'reflect poorly' on our committee letter. Due to a ~3.5 GPA, best case scenario I could end up with a 4. However, I submitted a couple documents late for various reasons, some not in my control but still my fault. So that would probably bring me down to a 3. Does this hurt my app ? Should I opt out of committee because of this?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you ever had a committee letter specifically point out that the student is not punctual? as in the committee evaluators commenting this? I have been getting very poor attitudes from committee members; I may be on their bad side. My actual LORs are great. I do not fully understand how much committee members contribute to the letter itself rather than my actual LOR's.

This kind of stuff makes me glad I didn't have a committee at all sometimes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on how well known your school is as a feeder and where you are trying to apply to, most places may not be aware you are missing a committee letter...it's a bold move (cotton, let's see if it pays off) but might be preferable to a letter you know will call you mediocre.

At my school a 4 wouldn't hurt at all. A A 3 or less raises our eyebrows. A 1 or 2 will be a kiss of death.

I am going through committee right now. My app is above average and they assign us a number 1-5 based on application, interview, LORs, etc. They said they rarely give out 5's and they also stated late documents will 'reflect poorly' on our committee letter. Due to a ~3.5 GPA, best case scenario I could end up with a 4. However, I submitted a couple documents late for various reasons, some not in my control but still my fault. So that would probably bring me down to a 3. Does this hurt my app ? Should I opt out of committee because of this?

OP, I'm sorry to hijack the thread but I'd hate to start a new thread over a single question. What if the committee has a requirement where one needs a 3.5 in order for the committee to convene? How would med school view this? How bad will it look if med school asked me why I don't have a committee letter and my response is that they won't give me a chance because I didn't meet the requirements?

OP, I'm sorry to hijack the thread but I'd hate to start a new thread over a single question. What if the committee has a requirement where one needs a 3.5 in order for the committee to convene? How would med school view this? How bad will it look if med school asked me why I don't have a committee letter and my response is that they won't give me a chance because I didn't meet the requirements?
All you can do is explain how this came to pass.