Can a Director of Pharmacy be a pharmaceutical liason at the same time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drpharMD

Accepted Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Really interested in both fields...is this possible? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Really interested in both fields...is this possible? Thoughts?

Not in my opinion, it i is a conflict of interest. As DOP you may have P and T responsibilities which would not mesh with going around and pushing "scientific info" about drugs. Pick one and go for it.

Massive conflict of interest. Not to mention those are two completely different jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be logistically impossible to do both.

Impossible? There isn't anyway that a DOP could take a consulting position or be a liason part-time?

I hesitated to respond since I didn't know what you meant by Pharmaceutical Liason.

There is no way you can work as a DOP & a Medical Science Liason since they're both full time jobs.

If you're referring to being a "speaker" for a drug company for an occassional speaking engagements, then yes, it's feasible.

Many DOPs and clinical managers are on the speaker's bureau for different pharma companies. When I was a DOP and still today, I'm constantly offered this position which usually pays $1,000 to $1,500 per engagement.

But this is a huge conflict of interest especially for a DOP. I have always turned it down. It's almost like being a glorified drug rep....

Farmer: did the articles mention if the directors got fired or demoted or reprimanded in any way?

Farmer: did the articles mention if the directors got fired or demoted or reprimanded in any way?

Earth shattering spanking of their lifetime.

Unfortunately, the prosecutors forgot to consider that people with such morals have a high probability of enjoying said punishment.

They are now rethinking their options.

I can't find the link for the life of me, but the one I remember was some guy on the P&T at a hospital (east coast area, wanna say Carolinas, but who knows) who was a speaker for one of the drugs they were making a formulary decision about, but the hospital administration didn't deem that a conflict of interest. I don't recall whether or not he recused himself from voting on the drug. So in that case, no demoting or repremanding.

I can't find the link for the life of me, but the one I remember was some guy on the P&T at a hospital (east coast area, wanna say Carolinas, but who knows) who was a speaker for one of the drugs they were making a formulary decision about, but the hospital administration didn't deem that a conflict of interest. I don't recall whether or not he recused himself from voting on the drug. So in that case, no demoting or repremanding.

Correct me if I am wrong - but in a P & T, you have to disclose all COIs - and then determine if it needs to be dealt with. By excusing yourself from the P & T - doesn't this effectively remove the COI, and therefore no harm?

Aside from this (adding said med to the formulary or perhaps an order sheet) - what other aspects would be inappropriate?

Correct me if I am wrong - but in a P & T, you have to disclose all COIs - and then determine if it needs to be dealt with. By excusing yourself from the P & T - doesn't this effectively remove the COI, and therefore no harm?

Aside from this (adding said med to the formulary or perhaps an order sheet) - what other aspects would be inappropriate?

Not only should a DOP disclose all COIs, he/she should remove himself from the vote if a drug in question is a candidate for formulary.