Can a DO hurt in corporate jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssa915

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to US MD, DO, and Caribbean. I would also like to get an MBA and maybe work in the health care industry, say managing a hospital or working for a pharm company.

My question is this: does the DO inhibit one's ability to get a job like this? (I know from other DOs i've spoken to, in academia there is a stigma attached to DOs). Any1 know? or have any personal experience with this? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

DO = MD for the most part. Yes there is a slight stigma in certain aspects but it really doesn't matter. There aren't many DO MBA's out there as DO's have historically been rural and FP physicians but this has changed a great deal in the latter half of the past century and more and more DO's are graduating from schools across the nation. I know a couple of very successful DO's who later got their MBA's and I know a few DO/MBA students myself. I wouldn't worry too much about the stigma and just go where you feel the most comfortable to get the best education.

No more than it hurts in the medical / academic world.

I did the DO/MBA in Healthcare Leadership program and am now a resident at Northwestern University. I will tell you that eventhough I am in a field that is DO friendly, I have had the opportunity to speak with, and impress ;) many of my MD counterparts, both residents and attendings, and in all disciplines, including our prestegious cardiovascular guys. So, I really do not think it is an issue, unless maybe you are trying for some bigtime pharm or something, but even then, likely not.