Quantcast

Can a DO physician practice in South Korea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

retro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow SDNers,

I'll be starting my education in a DO school this coming fall, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this issue.

I'm aware that S. Korea isn't one of the countries covered by DO international practice right, but recently there has been an update regarding international hospitals being built in one of the cities in S. Korea.

http://eaca.asia/site/etc/press_rev...&page=89&pPart=&pKeyword=&pGroup=dtbxgwisoicr

That's the link for a rather outdated news, but this has been finally confirmed few days ago.

I heard that schools like Hopkins and UPenn are going to be affiliated with these hospitals, and they will be hiring "non-Korean medical staffs, including doctors and nurses."
Do you guys think that phrase encompasses the DO physicians in the U.S as well?
(They are estimating to hire around 500 doctors).

I know that I'll have to wait until the final policy is released, but I'm kinda excited about this opportunity and was curious if you guys had any thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

SkyRider

Reaction score
Recently, the dean of MSUCOM led a delegation of health officials to South Korea with hopes of expanding the reach of the U.S. model of osteopathic medicine.
http://news.msu.edu/story/dean-brings-lessons-of-osteopathic-medicine-to-south-korea/

Some countries don't fully recognize D.O. simply because they are not familiar with the education and training of US trained D.O.s at all. They often confuse the osteopathic medicine with British-style osteopath. At this point, MSU is doing a great job as one world well-known research-intensive university.

So it's a matter of time S.Korea will fully recognize US trained D.O.s as complete physicians (not osteopath practitioner). However it will take some time.

Ineedhopenow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
That's really cool. Do physicians from the U.S. get paid the same if they work abroad?

COMedic2Doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
That's really cool. Do physicians from the U.S. get paid the same if they work abroad?
Pay completely depends on the situation, i.e. Doctors without Borders will probably not pay the same. Working in a foreign country as a provider (especially outside of the EU) will result in lower pay in many countries. However, working in contract positions or war zones may significantly increase one's salary (for all providers across the board, including Paramedics/RNs, PAs, etc.). So it's a really hard question to thoroughly answer without looking at specific positions.

I do agree that it is pretty cool that S. Korea is finally getting around to recognizing DO's as physicians and not osteopaths. Fortunately, many countries already recognize DO's as physicians so there really are quite a few options out there for international medicine.

retro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently, the dean of MSUCOM led a delegation of health officials to South Korea with hopes of expanding the reach of the U.S. model of osteopathic medicine.
http://news.msu.edu/story/dean-brings-lessons-of-osteopathic-medicine-to-south-korea/

Some countries don't fully recognize D.O. simply because they are not familiar with the education and training of US trained D.O.s at all. They often confuse the osteopathic medicine with British-style osteopath. At this point, MSU is doing a great job as one world well-known research-intensive university.

So it's a matter of time S.Korea will fully recognize US trained D.O.s as complete physicians (not osteopath practitioner). However it will take some time.

Wow, this is such an exciting news. Thanks for the link. I really hope DO physicians can continue to expand their roles in terms of international medicine not only in S. Korea but around the world.

bluecabinet

Reaction score
I heard that you can take USMLE after you graduate from DO school to practice in countries where it isn't recognized yet.

Last edited:

retro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that you can take USMLE after you graduate from DO school to practice in countries where it isn't recognized yet.

Do you mind sharing the source for this? That would be legite if it's true...

COMedic2Doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In regards to DOs serving around the world, they are already recognized in many of the countries that truly need them. EU is slow to recognize it due to Britain's Osteopaths (similar to our Chiropractors). Becoming a DO opens many opportunities including Doctors without Borders for international medicine.

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
google is your friend (that's all I did) :)