Can a doctor ask a patient out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Can a doctor ask out his/her patient?

• Yes

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Depends

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 68.0%

• Total voters

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is gonna cause a lot of posts and conflicting statements.

Doctors are human too. I believe that a doctor can ask a patient out, without it being a big deal. However, if it compromises the professionalism involved or effects anyone else, it shouldn't.

I'm sure there will be answers for both, I'm curious on the takes of SDN.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you do and your state medical board finds out, you WILL be sanctioned. End of story.
Alright, thanks for responding. It's nice to get some insight from a physician. If I ever do get to that stage, I will for sure keep this in mind. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interestingly enough this is a pretty dynamic question. In the 2010 Medscape ethics report up to 10% of physicians thought it was acceptable to become romantically involved with a patient. In the 2014% report its up to 22% think it is acceptable.

http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/public/ethics2014-part2#6

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/774295
Very cool. I'm glad you commented on this. I have a question because I ntoiced you were an intern, could I contact you via message? I'm looking for a few mentors, of course, if you don't mind.

Don't do it!! First of all, you have no idea what her motivations are. You could end up victim of blackmailing before knowing it. Secondly, you will never know if this is nothing but gold-digging.

Unless you want to "cheat" to get the hot chicks that may otherwise be tricky, NEVER let a girl know you are a doctor if you intend to nail her.

There is at least 4 billion women in the world. Even if you just take the cream out of it, let's say the 1-2% that is still 40-80 million hot chicks.

Don't be a fool, don't date a patient, or have sex with her...

No, it seems to me that you should not invite a patient to a date. This obliges the patient. If he or she refuses, he will have to change the doctor. Even if the patient agrees it will bring a lot of problems. I would not want my boyfriend to have an operation or to be my gynecologist.

There are reasonable ethical guidelines on this. Generally: No dating current patients, recent patients, and likely no dating patients who you know very well (e.g. as their therapist.) If you sutured a cut two years ago in the ED and happen to match on Tinder, it's probably not an issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Humanly speaking, I agree with the sentiment of dating a patient. What’s so wrong with it? She is a human, you are a human and you both have a heart that is sadly beating. A bit of sarcasm should be allowed. However, coming back to the real world, things need order and direction. We live in a world with mentors and role models. If you date her now and it is a successful courtship, you are setting an example for others who look up to you. This may begin a chain reaction. People would start looking at attractive women more as dates and less as patients. In order to treat them well, we need them as patients.

PS: The twist here is that if you begin a successful legacy and have disciples following you, it may turn out in favor of everybody – the doctors, the government, and the patients by improving patient-reported outcomes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Sure thing, certainly a doctor can ask…. And if the other party is willing and agrees to, there is no harm. Mutual consent is important and things must be played out of the official settings.
That is not at all true. If you do this you run the risk of losing your licence.

Reactions: 1 users
Sure thing, certainly a doctor can ask…. And if the other party is willing and agrees to, there is no harm. Mutual consent is important and things must be played out of the official settings.

And certainly a doctor can be sued, or face consequences from their place of employment, colleagues, the medical board, or specialty board.

The range of exceptions to the rule is really quite narrow, and the protocol in place for another narrow set of those exceptions, is pretty strict.

Tales abound of doctors that break the rules and get away with it. As are examples of very severe consequences