Can a doctor have bipolar disorder?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

btran87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
?

My friend has bipolar disorder and is currently being treated with Olanzapine (anti-psychotic). Will this restrict him from obtaining a medical license?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as he doesn't try to lie about it anywhere along in the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as he doesn't try to lie about it anywhere along in the process.

He likely wouldn't even be faced with this. It would be illegal for anyone involved in him getting into med school/becoming licensed/getting employment to even ask about a psychiatric disease like bipolar.

Last edited:
If it's controlled well, then I see no reason why having BPD would restrict you from doing anything (except maybe being a secret agent). I know people with BPD who are very successful at what they do.

I wouldn't bring it up to anyone until you're accepted though.

Your friend can still be a Dr. and will not have any problems with licensure. He or she should do their best to get a good support system in place before starting medical school. The stressful environment has been known to trigger manic episodes, but with a good support system and medical management your friend can accomplish his/her goal.

Thanks guys. I was really worried that having bipolar disorder would prevent me..urr I mean him from getting his license :). A symptom associated with BD is hallucinations, but he doesn't get hallucinations.