Can a Doctor of Medicine apply for podiatric residency program after USMLE exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kydrguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a Doctor of Medicine and i got below average scores in USMLE's, so it is tough for me to apply for MD residency programs, i am particularly interested in Orthopaedics and i would like to know whether i can apply and be eligible to be admitted to Podiatry residency program?

I have completed USMLE step 1, 2 CK and CSA and got ECFMG certification.

Please help me out with this issue

Thanks,

Dr. D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am a Doctor of Medicine and i got below average scores in USMLE's, so it is tough for me to apply for MD residency programs, i am particularly interested in Orthopaedics and i would like to know whether i can apply and be eligible to be admitted to Podiatry residency program?

Thanks,

Dr. D

Ummm, your scores for Podiatry residency might be too low.You should try Optometry residnecy also. You might have a shot:smuggrin:

I don't see why you couldn't apply and be considered. I haven't looked at the requirements for PM&S 36's and whether they state that you must only have a DPM degree. We don't use board scores to get residencies like allopathic/osteopathic residencies do. I think you would have to sit for the NBPME parts I, II, III however. If I'm not mistaken, I believe taking the NBPME parts is a requirement for our residencies (we just don't use the scores). More info can be obtained from nbpme.org, aacpm.org, and/or calling a residency program and directly asking a residency director or getting ahold of COTH and CPME to see what they would have to say. Otherwise, I'm betting you would have to go through Podiatry school (as MD/DO do not do the lower limb anatomy and surgical courses that we complete). The last point would be the biggest reason you probably COULD NOT apply for a Podiatric Residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
well...we have gone through the anatomy of whole body and studied each and every tendon and nerve and watsoever in the leg....Also i am exposed to various surgeries on the leg like amputation and other stuff.

I think in california, one of the DPM has mentioned in the article, that to give NBPME is the requirement, but USMLE candidates can be considered.

What i need to do is, i shall call the program directors and be an extern or rotating intern. If i can get rotating internship or externship, then it might help me to get into MD here. What i need is hands-on experience which i am not getting here.

Also i would like to let you know that I am from India and so being an International Medical Grad, it is really hard to get hands on clinical experience....so it sucks...and apart from that i have 76 and 79 USMLE scores in Step 1 and 2 respectively. But we also have to give Clinical skills exam with direct patient interaction and i completed that also and got Certification....to be eligible to apply for MD here.

I have also done 1 year of rotating internship back home in different specialties including surgery. So my guess is....i just have to keep fingers crossed and if i can get a non-surgical position for 1 year with hands-on clinical experience, then it will help me to get into MD here......so was keeping an eye on Podiatry program.

Any unfilled positions you guys are aware of every year. If i can fetch those, that will make my way out.

Thanks,

Dr. D

As was mentioned, you'd have to read documents or contact CASPR (centralized application service for podiatric residencies) directly and ask. You can probably find more info on their website. If I had to guess, I would say "no" and that pod residencies can only be undertaken by DPMs. Have a look, though...

http://www.casprcrip.org/

...I am a Doctor of Medicine and i got below average scores in USMLE's...
That is pretty crazy^ if you are an MD/PhD. Here in the US, only the tip top of MD applicants can even get into the "mud phud" programs, and they usually crush the boards.

That is pretty crazy^ if you are an MD/PhD. Here in the US, only the tip top of MD applicants can even get into the "mud phud" programs, and they usually crush the boards.

he is foreign medical graduate! like carribean med school guys.

Hi,

Thanks,

Dr. D

I don't think so. I know one of the requirements is to graduate from an accredited college of podiatric medicine and hold a DPM. You must also have taken and passed part I and II of the NBPME and in some cases, part III.

I got you folks...but i am pretty much concerned about whether the PD of Podiatry programs can enroll USMLE Grads in the PSR-12 ( 1 year position ) or not? as i can see a couple of spots where PSR-12 positions are not being filled and that seat is goes unfilled and its wasted.

What i will do is, call CASPR service next week and i can figure out whether the program directors can take USMLE Grads or not.

I am really thankful to you folks for sending me the link and it showed the Resident selection criteria and unfilled positions...But somehow i wasnt been able to open the Selection criteria page.....

Thanks again..

Dr. D

well...we have gone through the anatomy of whole body and studied each and every tendon and nerve and watsoever in the leg....Also i am exposed to various surgeries on the leg like amputation and other stuff.
I think in california, one of the DPM has mentioned in the article, that to give NBPME is the requirement, but USMLE candidates can be considered.

What i need to do is, i shall call the program directors and be an extern or rotating intern. If i can get rotating internship or externship, then it might help me to get into MD here. What i need is hands-on experience which i am not getting here.

Also i would like to let you know that I am from India and so being an International Medical Grad, it is really hard to get hands on clinical experience....so it sucks...and apart from that i have 76 and 79 USMLE scores in Step 1 and 2 respectively. But we also have to give Clinical skills exam with direct patient interaction and i completed that also and got Certification....to be eligible to apply for MD here.

I have also done 1 year of rotating internship back home in different specialties including surgery. So my guess is....i just have to keep fingers crossed and if i can get a non-surgical position for 1 year with hands-on clinical experience, then it will help me to get into MD here......so was keeping an eye on Podiatry program.

Any unfilled positions you guys are aware of every year. If i can fetch those, that will make my way out.

Thanks,

Dr. D

I acknowledge that, but taking general/gross anatomy and spending 2 weeks on the whole leg and taking 2 months of lower limb anatomy dissecting everyday is not the same thing. You would need to make up for that somewhere as you will be doing surgery and most importantly incorporating biomechanics into your clinical and surgical evaluation on a daily basis. Clinical accum is so important (as I am just in the early process of getting to see patients), but it's pointless unless you have the knowledge of podiatric medicine to understand why someone is getting calluses under their 3rd met head or why you have a forefoot valgus, etc, etc. I'm going out on a limb here with this statement, but I doubt the vast majority of MD/DO students could tell a podiatric medical student what the above examples are caused by or even is. Absolutely NO DISRESPECT TO YOU, I'm just saying, I wouldn't try to manage someone's CHF or hypertension unless I knew the phys and pathophys as well as medications that go along with those conditions and I'd be a fool to think I could if I didn't have that knowledge and leave myself open to big time legal and financial liability.

The final word for you on podiatry will come from the residency directors and CPME as they are directly involved and in the know for your situation. I would highly suggest starting there. Good luck to you, I hope everything works out.

I got you folks...but i am pretty much concerned about whether the PD of Podiatry programs can enroll USMLE Grads in the PSR-12 ( 1 year position ) or not? as i can see a couple of spots where PSR-12 positions are not being filled and that seat is goes unfilled and its wasted.

What i will do is, call CASPR service next week and i can figure out whether the program directors can take USMLE Grads or not.

I am really thankful to you folks for sending me the link and it showed the Resident selection criteria and unfilled positions...But somehow i wasnt been able to open the Selection criteria page.....

Thanks again..

Dr. D

Like some of the other guys who have posted, I think that you will not be able to apply for the Podiatry residency program. As they have stated, most program do require that you take the NBPME board exams. In certain states where you get either a full DPM license or a DPM training license, you will need to have passed those board exams and be a graduate of an accreditated Podiatric medical schools.

Lastly, when you do complete your residency training in Podiatric surgery, you will also have a hard time getting board certified since ABPS and ABPOPPM require you to be a graduate of an accredited Podiatry school. If you tried to sit for one of the allopathic boards, none of them will recognize your Podiatry residency training because none of the Podiatry residency programs are ACGME approved.

I know of a few foreign grads MDs (some were orthopedic surgeons in their native countries) have gone back through Podiatry school (either starting all over or as advanced standing) and then applied for Podiatry residency training afterwards.

Last edited:
what would that even make you? a MD/DPM and what would you practice afterwards?

What's implied by this question bothers me. Is the training of the MD so broad-based and all-encompassing that it would qualify the MD to practice any other field of medicine?

No, of course not.

I've seen it in the pharmacy forum too. At least a few times posters have asked whether an MD who didn't want to do a residency (or whatever) could get licensed as a pharmacist. No. If you don't go to pharmacy school you aren't a pharmacist.

The MD is board based medical education, no doubt. But it's both insulting and ridiculous to think that an MD would know everything DPMs know about the foot and ankle PLUS everything PharmDs know about pharmaceuticals PLUS everything that every *cough cough* "lesser" *cough cough* health professional must know. Impossible.

I'm sure that the OP meant no disrespect and didn't even think about what this question truly implies. [/soapbox]

not sure about MD for pod residency but i've heard the opposite, a DPM getting a spot at a foot and ankle ortho fellowship?

not sure about MD for pod residency but i've heard the opposite, a DPM getting a spot at a foot and ankle ortho fellowship?

Correct. I'm sure they go to MD's first but so many remain open year after year, they are sometimes filled by DPM's.

Here at the Arizona school, there was a FMG M.D. He had to start in the first year with the rest of us. Funny thing is, he flunked out after the first quarter...

Here at the Arizona school, there was a FMG M.D. He had to start in the first year with the rest of us. Funny thing is, he flunked out after the first quarter...

We have a FMG MD in Scholl too.

This happens at Barry fairly frequently... probably just due to the proximity to the Caribbean and south and central America. There have been multiple foreign MDs as well as some other professionals (vet, PhD, etc) just since I've been there.

Some make it, some don't; to be fair, most have ESL.