can a good showing in a postbac save your undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdasd12345

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im thinking about doing the 2 year postbac program at barry university. does anyone know the success rates of this program? my undergrad GPA is 2.73 if you calculate it for a MD program and 3.11 if you work it out for a DO. do you think the poor undergrad performace would be overlooked with a good GPA from Barry university and i could get into an MD program, or with number like that i should look at DO programs only?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it can 'save' you but I do think there is a general rule to follow. The older the undergrad is the less weight it holds.

Also, if you do really well in the postbac it may offset, but the interview will be key. You also must 'nail' the MCAT!

Good luck! :luck:

I agree with alpha, unless you went to Harvard, Yale, or a really selective LAC like Amherst, Williams, Swat, or Wes, I would say you're in trouble. DO ain't that bad :D

Members don't see this ad :)
AlphaKi said:
I don't think it can 'save' you but I do think there is a general rule to follow. The older the undergrad is the less weight it holds.

Also, if you do really well in the postbac it may offset, but the interview will be key. You also must 'nail' the MCAT!

Good luck! :luck:
I agree with alphaki -- I'd add that if you have some interesting "real-life" experiences to throw in, it might help to offset the GPA further -- something related like working in a medical field, or something unusual like being in the peace corps, etc.

Good luck! :D

I posted this on another site but it's relavent to the topic:

I have been accepted into a foreign med school (UAG) and I've decided to go for my Masters and try again in the US. I too am very afraid that it won't be good enough. But I've found a website that has help me decide that it's worth the risk to try a Post Bac or Masters http://www.mdapplicants.com/ Some of these students had GPAs as low as 2.5 including science and math. But they took care of their business in post bac or grad school and took care of their business with MCATs and they not only got interviews, but multiple interviews and multiple acceptance. Prove to the US that you can handle the curriculum by doing post bac or Masters in hard science. It's worth it. I know it's an extra 1-2 years, but it'll be less of a headache in the long run I think. All you have to do is type in GPA range 0 to whatever your GPA is and MCAT range from 0 to 45 or whatever your MCAT is. I typed 0 to 45 so that I could see what type of MCAT my GPA needs to be competitive. I definitely think that it's worth it to exhaust every possibility of going in the states before going off to a foreign med school. I work at Baylor College of Medicine and have spoken with personell and admissions counselors that are in charge of admitting people into residency positions and they have told me that it's getting harder and harder for FMGs to practice in the states and that laws are changing and making it more a difficult route. So I think I'll take my chances. Hope this helps. :scared:

asdasd,

I also agree with the comments of the other posters and am living proof that a terrible, yet old, undergrad GPA+ a great post bac GPA+ an ok MCAT score = medical school student!

Ussdfiant:

Would you mind sharing what your original GPA was, what you did in your post-bac to overcome your previous undergrad grades, credit hours of post-bac and what your final gpa was?

Tooth

TiggidyTooth said:
Ussdfiant:

Would you mind sharing what your original GPA was, what you did in your post-bac to overcome your previous undergrad grades, credit hours of post-bac and what your final gpa was?

Tooth

I don't remember what my undergrad GPA was off the top of my head, but I went to an Ivy and had several Fs. As far as my postbac goes, I just put my all into it! Took 8 credits in the summer, took 12 credits in the fall, 12 in the spring and finished with a 3.85. BTW, I did my postbac at Temple and am now 2 weeks away from finishing my second year at Temple Med.

how much do you think that cost for tuition and living expenses for the time you did postbac at temple?

I've been told to look into getting a masters. Were you guys told the same for med school when you were starting out with a postbacc? :confused:

I strongly suggest you consider a Master's program. Some Master's programs offer conditional acceptance to a consortium of medical schools. Tulane's 1-year Master's program in Cell & Molecular Biology affords you the opportunity to earn a M.S. and prepare you for medical school. It's not linked to the medical school. However, the dean of the medical shows his face periodically (ie, network). The problem with post-bac work is, you've spent a year of class work and there's no extra degree to show for it! If you are going to bust your tail improving your credentials for a year, earn an advance degree while doing it. Believe me, I was in your shoes three years ago!

drcrusher, what's your status now? Are you at tulane med? me, I'm doing a masters in either general biology or biomedical sciences without a thesis so that i can avoid all the research courses. I'm doing it over here in Texas so that I don't have to pay out of state fees. The school I'm doing it at has no linkage either. I'm hoping that good grades and good recs can be enough for applying without a linkage.

what were your undergrad stats when you started the masters? (if you don't mind me asking) and what are you doing now?

Thanks

Argh!
I am in EXACT same situation here.
Let's say that I am sub-3.0.
There are a lot of reasons behind that, BUT I was looking at post-bac vs Master's.
I am 99% sure I am doing the Master's route -
I think these guys bring up some valid points, the advanced degree proves that you can handle the upper level science - obviously a VERY STRONG showing - read 3.7 and above is needed to catch the ADCOM eye.

I can't see any reason to pay $25,000 to re-take the undergrad classes that I need to improve in. My game plan is to enroll in the Bio Medical Science Master's, and if needed, I could possibly touch up my transcript by picking up and post-bacc-ish undergard stuff concurrently with the Master's.

Does this sound feasible? Any thoughts guys? The deadline for deposits is looming closer.

Oh yeah, and if this doesn't work out, I will have a Master's Degree to benefit my new job as fishing guide/cigar tester/beer quality control/handyman in Key West, FL. :laugh:

911Med said:
Oh yeah, and if this doesn't work out, I will have a Master's Degree to benefit my new job as fishing guide/cigar tester/beer quality control/handyman in Key West, FL. :laugh:

Thats a good job. I'd reconsider being a doctor if I had that job.

PublicEnemy said:
Thats a good job. I'd reconsider being a doctor if I had that job.

Yeah, but the pay is less than desirable.
Must be the insurance companies and HMO's are screwing me over:

I want Cohibas - they give me Swisher Sweets
I want tuna and marlin - they give me carp
I want beer - they give me Zima

Guess I'll just have to stroll over to my hammock and take a nap.

drcrusher said:
I strongly suggest you consider a Master's program. Some Master's programs offer conditional acceptance to a consortium of medical schools. Tulane's 1-year Master's program in Cell & Molecular Biology affords you the opportunity to earn a M.S. and prepare you for medical school. It's not linked to the medical school. However, the dean of the medical shows his face periodically (ie, network). The problem with post-bac work is, you've spent a year of class work and there's no extra degree to show for it! If you are going to bust your tail improving your credentials for a year, earn an advance degree while doing it. Believe me, I was in your shoes three years ago!

There may not be a degree to show for but it can show for lots of other things. It can show that you're a different student, your perserverance and dedication to medical school, etc.

Here's my story. I applied before I started postbac work and didn't get any secondaries from any UC schools but after my postbac work with a 3.9, I started getting secondaries from the UC's. In addition, after a year of intense postbac work, I was able to bring my MCAT bio section up to double digits. See, I'm living proof that if you put in the hard work and perserverance, you can somehow undo undergrad damage.