Can a hospital who owes a pathologist money

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

y2k_free_radical

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Make him continue to deliver services after the notice date of termination of contract has expired by claiming abandonment of necessary patient services ????????

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Lawyer up if there’s more than a couple bucks involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Your not expressing yourself well.

I don't understand the question

Reactions: 1 user
You can not be required to provided services to hospital patients once you pass the term date

In all likelihood, your contract actually prevents you from doing so if it cancels your staff privileges

Contact your lawyer
I would have him/her involved already

Who the hell gets into a position like this?

I heard about one practice where the practice owner was actually molesting junior pathologists and I thought after that I had heard it all..

Your not expressing yourself well.

I don't understand the question
Sorry-was in a hurry.There has been a long disagreement as to the amount of money owed the pathologist by the hospital.The Pathologist served notice of intent to end services in three months per contract which ends on MAY 1.The hospital is having trouble finding another laboratory medical director.The hospital has threatened to sue the pathologist and put the case in front of a judge if said pathologist abandons them during this CORONA VIRUS crises before the hospital can find another medical director.

Sorry-was in a hurry.There has been a long disagreement as to the amount of money owed the pathologist by the hospital.The Pathologist served notice of intent to end services in three months per contract which ends on MAY 1.The hospital is having trouble finding another laboratory medical director.The hospital has threatened to sue the pathologist and put the case in front of a judge if said pathologist abandons them during this CORONA VIRUS crises before the hospital can find another medical director.

Hospital cant sue. There is no abandonment case here. And no coronavirus doesnt equate with crap. The hospital's case will be laughed out of court. Counter sue for back payment. Personally sue the administration. Call the state lab licensing board, explain the hospital is threatening you and you are cancelling your medical directorship "out of a sense of fear for my personal safety." Vague enough to be valid in all situations.

I dont know what to say though because I couldnt imagine that happening to me. I assume the amount of money owed is due to this pathologist providing the TC for Medicare inpatients who are reimbursed by DRG coding?

How are you involved??

The Hospital is clueless

I serve on Hospital boards. I seen a lot of osptal services has changed over during my teIt's totally their Hospital's responsibility to have a service in place.

I serve on our Hospital board. We have changed multiple hospital service line contract during my tenure except for path.

The Hospital doesn't have a leg to stand on.

There still is time for them to find an emergency medical director and pathologist too.
It is fully the hospitals responsibility to staff for the pathology service once the contract ends.
Covid does not change this.

The pathologist a obligation for continuity of care; leave a nice note with the slides on the desk on the unsigned cases for the next guy.

You don't have a legal or moral obligation to do more.

Once the contract has expired you may not even have privileges
most privileges are tied to the contract. They automatically go away when the contract terms out
This of course depends on how the contract is written.
They can't force you to sign a new contract temporarily because they are in jam.

F*** them. You have a (presumptively) valid contract.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone can sue for any reason- the threat of a lawsuit itself may be seen by the hospital as a strong arm attempt to buy time to fill the spot .

That said, a lawyer and a good understanding of the contract are key. If the hospital has failed to pay for services as per the contract, they are in breach of the contract. Once notified in writing (usually from your lawyer) that they are in breach, they have a limited time to remedy the breach, or the contract is forfeit. The term of the contract is immaterial at that point- there is no contract. Again, the contract is key to understand. There may be language in the contract that even prevents you from terminating the agreement. Even if notenforceable, it can be a pretext for legal action.

Where are you located? Or where is this center of this sordid tale located? Roughly speaking.

Hospital cant sue. There is no abandonment case here. And no coronavirus doesnt equate with crap. The hospital's case will be laughed out of court. Counter sue for back payment. Personally sue the administration. Call the state lab licensing board, explain the hospital is threatening you and you are cancelling your medical directorship "out of a sense of fear for my personal safety." Vague enough to be valid in all situations.

I dont know what to say though because I couldnt imagine that happening to me. I assume the amount of money owed is due to this pathologist providing the TC for Medicare inpatients who are reimbursed by DRG coding?

How are you involved??
You are correct.The dispute is over the TC amount owed.The hospital says it can't reconcile the bill.I am being wooed as the replacement.

Last edited:
You are correct.The dispute is over the TC amount owed.The hospital says it can't reconcile the bill.I am being wooed as the replacement.
You want to go work at a place that is threatening to sue the guy/gal there now for abandoning if she/he leaves due to non-payment?

why would you expect to be treated better? They have shown they don’t pay their bill

Reactions: 2 users
I do TC for 3 hospitals
I had one that didn't pay me for awhile
The CFO was convinced that Medicare Advantage and managed Care Medicaid should pay the bill. Finally a new CEO and CFO were hired and figured out that they actually owed me

Well. Make sure they understand how they will be billed.
Charge a bit more for the TC than normal too.
Have an fast exit plan in the contract for non payment specifically.

I suspect the exiting pathology will sue them in the near future for the outstanding amount.
It is possible this path group is over billing. More likely

I would try to understand why the outing going path group is billing xyz codes and the why hospital can't accept it.
It might be a problem with last group that you can fix easily going forward.

The path gave notice and the hospital has breached the contract for non-payment. This is a no brainer - the path can walk away.

also I imagine a hospital running operations like this likely cuts corners in laboratory staffing, osha issues, etc creating issues in patient care and occupational safety.

be careful if you engage. In addition to the other sound recommendations you have to meet with the current managers privately to ask these questions. It is your a$$ on the line