Can a Letter of Intent EVER influence the decision to accept, especially if the reasons are very unique to the applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
First and foremost, I acknowledge that the AdComs on here have said that admissions deans treat these letters as lies, especially as they are non-binding. However, at schools that explicitly state that they welcome letters of intent, are there any genuine reasons to send a LOI that may influence the decision to accept?

For example, if the letter mentions having a significant other or close family nearby the school, would that be a valid reason to send a LOI? Obviously this is much different than a letter which goes on and on about the school's programs (which any applicant could write about).

Or do schools just say that they welcome these letters so applicants feel that they have some control over their fate even though in reality they don't whatsoever.

Members don't see this ad.

If the school encourages one and you have been waitlisted, by all means send one. Deep connections to a school like a fiancé in school/living in the area or medically ill family member are fairly compelling reasons and can be verified.

I also don’t think the adcoms here thought a LOI was detrimental only that it was assumed to be a lie in most cases by most schools. As long as it is well written and doesn’t say anything crazy that would make the school question your judgment, I think it is a very, very low risk endeavor.

Reactions: 1 users
I almost definitely got off the waitlist to the school I eventually matriculated at because of one.

It totally depends though - will it do anything pre interview? Highly doubt it. Will it boost an unqualified candidate? Likely not. But in certain lucky situations it can give a tiny nudge.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why the heck didnt you make sure to include that in secondary
The schools at which I was offered an interview did not have a "Why us?" or "Anything else?" type essay where it would be appropriate to include that.

Reactions: 1 user
I wholeheartedly believe that in rare circumstances, it can move the needle. But LOIs only hold more weight when you already have an acceptance and can say something like "I would go to your school over University of ___ Medical School." Without an acceptance, then of course you would go to their med school if accepted-- it'd be your only acceptance.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I wholeheartedly believe that in rare circumstances, it can move the needle. But LOIs only hold more weight when you already have an acceptance and can say something like "I would go to your school over University of ___ Medical School." Without an acceptance, then of course you would go to their med school if accepted-- it'd be your only acceptance.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Hypothetically, what if your only acceptance is to a DO school, and you are waitlisted by an MD school?

Hypothetically, what if your only acceptance is to a DO school, and you are waitlisted by an MD school?
You need to make the LOI recipient jealous. Will your DO acceptance do that?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
If you didn't bring up that your SO was in the area during your interview and make it clear that if you were accepted to this school, you will commit and slap down a deposit in less than 5 minutes, that is on you dawg. LOI couldn't hurt but I have talked with multiple directors of admissions about this and they all say they don't give them any weight 99% of the time.

Certain schools definitely care about letters of intent, if written well with genuine reasons behind them.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
When sending a letter of intent, should you explicitly tell the school that you have been accepted elsewhere and would choose this school over your current acceptance? Or is this something the school can infer from AMCAS? I’m not sure if it’s in bad taste to seem ungrateful for a current acceptance given that many students are stuck on waitlists so I would appreciate your insight!

When sending a letter of intent, should you explicitly tell the school that you have been accepted elsewhere and would choose this school over your current acceptance? Or is this something the school can infer from AMCAS? I’m not sure if it’s in bad taste to seem ungrateful for a current acceptance given that many students are stuck on waitlists so I would appreciate your insight!
You keep asking this same question. (3 times that I’ve seen.) I’m not sure what answer you want but if you tell us we might be able to help.

• Love
You keep asking this same question. (3 times that I’ve seen.) I’m not sure what answer you want but if you tell us we might be able to help.
Just looking for others’ perspectives. I think I’m going with not sharing the acceptance based on previous responses. Can’t really think of any influence it would have and kinda feel like they would just skip over you if they know you can go elsewhere.

Just looking for others’ perspectives. I think I’m going with not sharing the acceptance based on previous responses. Can’t really think of any influence it would have and kinda feel like they would just skip over you if they know you can go elsewhere.
Well if the acceptance you have would make the acceptance you don’t have really happy to “steal” you from the higher tier school, you should by all means mention the school.

I think I’m conflicted on that since they’re both pretty mid-tier, with my acceptance being from a state school that is still well regarded across the US but pretty equal to my waitlist. The only difference being where I would want to study and those associated learning experiences
I would not mention the school by name. Too risky.

First and foremost, I acknowledge that the AdComs on here have said that admissions deans treat these letters as lies, especially as they are non-binding. However, at schools that explicitly state that they welcome letters of intent, are there any genuine reasons to send a LOI that may influence the decision to accept?

For example, if the letter mentions having a significant other or close family nearby the school, would that be a valid reason to send a LOI? Obviously this is much different than a letter which goes on and on about the school's programs (which any applicant could write about).

Or do schools just say that they welcome these letters so applicants feel that they have some control over their fate even though in reality they don't whatsoever.
Schools that welcome LOIs do weigh the content. They are suspicious of the claims that they are the #1 choice because they've admitted people who previously made that claim and then enrolled elsewhere. The reasons you say they're #1 add or subtract credibility to the claim.

If you combine that statement with good reasons for enrolling, including the proximity of a SO or family, the letter starts to become more compelling. At the same time, I wouldn't allow a reader to infer that the only reason you want to go to their program is the proximity of the other party. Either this LOI or previous ones should also show fit with the school's mission, the appeal of their educational approach, or interest in an area of strength, or something that appeals about their program.

Reactions: 2 users
I almost definitely got off the waitlist to the school I eventually matriculated at because of one.

It totally depends though - will it do anything pre interview? Highly doubt it. Will it boost an unqualified candidate? Likely not. But in certain lucky situations it can give a tiny nudge.
Hi Banco. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your letter with me? I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to write a LOI. Thanks!

Hi Banco. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your letter with me? I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to write a LOI. Thanks!

Just a brief email about 2-3 things that really make the program a great fit for you and why you're a good fit for them, then a clear statement about how they are your number one/you would enroll if given the chance. Doesn't have to be too long or special.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Should applicants really name-drop schools in letters of intent? I understand the social desirability bias aspect of this strategy, but couldn’t it backfire if the school thinks that it comes across as pompous/arrogant

Should applicants really name-drop schools in letters of intent? I understand the social desirability bias aspect of this strategy, but couldn’t it backfire if the school thinks that it comes across as pompous/arrogant
Depends. If you're doing it to name drop, it will probably backfire.

OTOH, if you're doing it to demonstrate sincerity, and you are sincere, why not? For example, if you are holding an acceptance at Harvard but REALLY want to go to Penn for a good reason (specific program they offer, research you want to do, strong desire to be in Philly, etc.), why wouldn't Penn consider and place value on the opportunity to poach you from Harvard, assuming they were already on the fence?

Seems to me like it would add to the letter, to turn it into more than just begging, which is what many of these letter turn out to be. YMMV.

From watching the forum the past few years, I can tell you having it work is relatively rare. Most people ask about name dropping Jefferson at Penn, rather than Penn at Jefferson. If it's not a peer school or above, it is generally deemed to be ineffective and inadvisable.

Most people with an A asking about LOIs are looking to trade up, rather than down or laterally. Tell me that's not why you're asking! :) For that reason, name dropping is usually not recommended. For the right situation, however, it could be very effective.

It might work when the schools being dumped are if a higher or equivalent class that the desired object of the LOI writer, Harvard for Temple, or Harvard for Yale, for example.

Temple for Harvard, on the other hand , will have Harvard say "good luck at Temple".