Can a licensed pharmacist take a job as an intern or even technician? (2022 update)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GravityBeetle

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ran into this old thread from 2016: Can a licensed pharmacist take a job as an intern or even technician to get their foot in the door? and was wondering if the sentiment is still the same nowadays? I am currently a hospital pharmacist of nearly 4 years now looking to relocate for personal reasons but it has been almost a year now and have had no luck getting any offers in my desired location. I have applied to everything from hospital to infusion to LTC to part time, grave yard, and full time positions. I am at the point where I am highly considering just applying for a hospital pharm tech position so I can at least get the move started and make some money while continuing a career in hospital.

One reply that stood out to me from the 2016 thread was the hiring manager probably would think ""Why is this person damaged goods?/ Why is this person unhireable as a pharmacist?". However I am relatively confident in my abilities as a hospital pharmacist. I have experience in using EPIC, pyxis, doing chart reviews, ACLS certified and attend codes, dose vancos/TPNs/warfarins, etc. pretty much all the standard stuff. I can provide great professional references as well as documentation of positive annual performance reviews year after year. Would that change your mind as a hiring manager if I were to provide you with all that information?

I'd like to know your thoughts on this, especially if you are a hiring manager for a hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can't imagine a scenario where a licensed pharmacist applying for a technician position would come off as a good thing. I could maybe see reaching out to the hiring manager to discuss possible pharmacist openings in the future.

If you were to take a position as a technician (assuming they would even consider that), I imagine a scenario where you overstep your position given your degree/experience. I've seen this play out in other fields of study (research assistant in a lab with a PhD overstepping their position because of their education).

Just my $0.02

Reactions: 1 users
I can't imagine a scenario where a licensed pharmacist applying for a technician position would come off as a good thing. I could maybe see reaching out to the hiring manager to discuss possible pharmacist openings in the future.

If you were to take a position as a technician (assuming they would even consider that), I imagine a scenario where you overstep your position given your degree/experience. I've seen this play out in other fields of study (research assistant in a lab with a PhD overstepping their position because of their education).

Just my $0.02
Of course a pharmacist position would be most ideal, but the fact that I have been looking and applying for over year makes me think that's not going to happen any time soon. Meanwhile should I not live the life I want to live and where I want to live it? I hope the manager can be understanding that happiness, family, and friends come first - not career.

I definitely understand the concern about overstepping my position. Idk how I could assure that I would not partake in any pharmacist duties including not give any clinical recommendations to anybody while at work.

Members don't see this ad :)
If this is what you want to do - I would just omit my pharmacist history from my resume. They won’t care

When I was a retail PIC I would hire folks that just got off the line from Wendys. There is no reason to identify yourself as a pharmacist if you don’t want to. But if you do this you better mind your boundaries, never identify yourself as a pharmacist, and fulfill the roll of a technician

Last edited:
If this is what you want to do - I would just omit my pharmacist history from my resume. They won’t care

When I was a retail PIC I would hire folks that just got off the line from Wendys. There is no reason to identify yourself as a pharmacist if you don’t want to. But if you do this you better mind your boundaries, never identify yourself as a pharmacist, and fulfill the roll of a technician
Then I'll essentially have an empty resume and no explanation for having sterile compounding, EPIC and Pyxis experience lol

Then I'll essentially have an empty resume and no explanation for having sterile compounding, EPIC and Pyxis experience lol
I would hire you as a technician. You really don’t need much to get in these days.

For an entry level job like that - just put down that you were a pharmacy technician and you will get hired. It’s not a professional level job, so no one is going to vet your history

You must be relocating to really competitive area. I can't imagine not finding a job with 4 years of hospital experience under your belt, considering we have slightly "better" job market due to pandemic.

You must be relocating to really competitive area. I can't imagine not finding a job with 4 years of hospital experience under your belt, considering we have slightly "better" job market due to pandemic.
Yeah I think so. It is what it is, take what you can get. I know techs are in demand though with sign-on bonuses available. Wonder if I could get that plus at least high end of tech wage scale (eg $30/hr) wouldn't be too bad.

I am not a pharmacist in a hospital setting but I do know of older, retired pharmacists who decided to go back to work as technicians. They like the job but they don't want the pharmacist responsibility anymore. My one friend works for Giant and her one tech was once a pharmacist and I know my boss received an application from another retiree who just wanted to work a few days a tech. Unfortunately I don't have any answers about how this may play out in the hospital setting but I would think you'd just have to make sure you're not overstepping your duties as a technician even though you are a licensed pharmacist.

I ran into this old thread from 2016: Can a licensed pharmacist take a job as an intern or even technician to get their foot in the door? and was wondering if the sentiment is still the same nowadays? I am currently a hospital pharmacist of nearly 4 years now looking to relocate for personal reasons but it has been almost a year now and have had no luck getting any offers in my desired location. I have applied to everything from hospital to infusion to LTC to part time, grave yard, and full time positions. I am at the point where I am highly considering just applying for a hospital pharm tech position so I can at least get the move started and make some money while continuing a career in hospital.

One reply that stood out to me from the 2016 thread was the hiring manager probably would think ""Why is this person damaged goods?/ Why is this person unhireable as a pharmacist?". However I am relatively confident in my abilities as a hospital pharmacist. I have experience in using EPIC, pyxis, doing chart reviews, ACLS certified and attend codes, dose vancos/TPNs/warfarins, etc. pretty much all the standard stuff. I can provide great professional references as well as documentation of positive annual performance reviews year after year. Would that change your mind as a hiring manager if I were to provide you with all that information?

I'd like to know your thoughts on this, especially if you are a hiring manager for a hospital.
Which area are you trying to find a job in, just asking to see if I could help if I am familiar with the area I may be able to refer you ....

You may consider applying to a remote verification position with your hospital experience, even start as a PRN and work your way up.
If you move to a different state, you need to be licensed there before you apply for jobs. With the current job market, they would prefer someone who is already licensed.
If your desired location is in the same state, I don't think you can work as a technician with your pharmacist license.