• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

SobeGekko

10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2006
Minnesota
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
This is out of curiosity for my specific case. I completed an MD and 1+ years of medical residency (enough to get my medical license). I'm now going back to pharmacy school with an interest in clinical pharmacy when I'm done. Can my medical training count as equivalent to or substitute for a pharmacy residency as a springboard toward a career in clinical pharmacy? Anyone know the answer?

PharmDEpi

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
This is out of curiosity for my specific case. I completed an MD and 1+ years of medical residency (enough to get my medical license). I'm now going back to pharmacy school with an interest in clinical pharmacy when I'm done. Can my medical training count as equivalent to or substitute for a pharmacy residency as a springboard toward a career in clinical pharmacy? Anyone know the answer?

No, your medical training would not count toward a PharmD residency any more than a PharmD residency would count toward a medical residency. Two different careers, different training paths, apples and oranges.

legrita

New Mommy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2001
Hampton, GA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
That's interesting...may I ask why you did this? I am curious.

I am just flying home from 4 residency interviews and based on what I've seen, it may go either way...but most likely you may not be excused. On a clinical pharmacy team, you are the pharmacotherapy expert...the MD and other healthcare teammebers are depending on you for pharmacoherapy-related information....they too have done medical residencies (MDs)...so they may not need you for information they themselves already know...they are seeking specified drug doses and other medication management information that you would not recieve in an MD residency program....another thing is that some of the competitive hospitals are looking for those who graduated from an ASHP-accredited PGY-1 or PGY-2 program, so I would imagine that the MD program would not qualify......that's just my thinking

Rachel

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.