Can a person who is not good at practical things,be a doctor?

Loganxmen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 15 years old,and I am very successful at my studies, I am dreaming to become a doctor, but I am worried about one thing my parents never forced me to do any work, because of that I just don t know how to do many things, and we know that the medical field is mostly practicing, should I keep dreaming or change my mind.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean it will be very hard for me to perform an injection or to suture a wound, because i am not good at doing any work.
If you're saying you don't have good work ethic... then yes it will be very hard. But you're way too young to worry about this, who knows where your future will take you. But for example, I shadowed an orthopedic surgeon that didn't pick up a screwdriver, saw or hammer at home but sure knew how to use tools in the OR. You'll find your niche don't worry... just have to be dedicated

Reactions: 1 user
I am 15 years old,and I am very successful at my studies, I am dreaming to become a doctor, but I am worried about one thing my parents never forced me to do any work, because of that I just don t know how to do many things, and we know that the medical field is mostly practicing, should I keep dreaming or change my mind.

The good news is that you are recognizing where you may need work. You're only 15. Start seeking out opportunities on your own initiative (with your parents permission of course). Being a doctor (and an adult) means you don't rely on others to provide you with things.

Keep dreaming :) But also start working towards that dream.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many doctors are very smart and knowledgeable in their field but know nothing outside of their field due to the limited amount of time they have. This is why car dealerships take advantage of them for example. You'll have no problem going into medicine if that is you.

I'm not good at anything and I'm gonna be a doctor

Reactions: 4 users
Practice makes perfect.

Reactions: 1 users
dude don't worry about it. Pursue it and stop over worrying.

If you don't have the best hand dexterity like me, just work on it! :D

As long as you can create a good work ethic for yourself you'll be fine ;)

Like someone else said your work ethic absolutely has to be there, if it's not you will fail. Heck, a couple years ago I had never had a job in my life and my first couple of jobs sucked. My education has done wonders and taught me many practical things even though I have struggled. There comes a point, when I was in college I felt like I couldn't make the cut... I say this because I still haven't made up my mind. But, I don't think a lack of job experience should stop you from becoming a physician.

One who cannot take care of themselves cannot take care of others. You need to learn how to do your own laundry, wash dishes, and cook your own food before you can be responsible for the lives of other human beings. Keep at it, one step at a time.

Answer is: yes, you can be a doctor and "not be good at many things" especially at your age. You have barely lived.... and you will grow and figure things out. Practice does make perfect. Not all medicine is about doing manual things either. I know tons of internal medicine doctors who dont touch a procedure after residency. That being said, you can always work to improve areas you are not strong at if you have the right mindset and a willingness to work at it. I remember the first time suturing on a pig skin in medical school it looked more like some abstract art that a neatly organized linear suture pattern. Through the years of practicing I think I do pretty okay now :). You just have to be willing to put yourself out there and try your best. Take the criticism and do something positive with it. If your already thinking about these sorts of thing at your age, your obviously mindful that your not perfect and you want to improve. You might not know how to do a mortgage or cut the grass but that doesn't mean you can not be a doctor. Now, for just not knowing how to do things - the only advice I can give is go out there and give it a whirl. Being privileged is not a crime..... wasting opportunities you have been given is. No one will care what your background is when your treating them as a physician. Believe me......you will be fine if you set your mind to it. @flasheroonie does have a point though, probably should learn to do your own dishes and laundry because there will be many days on the road to being a doctor where you may need laundry skills if you get my drift ;) @Loganxmen.