Can a pharmacist volunteer at a hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharfalle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can this be done to gain hospital experience?

Members don't see this ad.

id say probably not due to liability and insurance issues... but thats just my guess

Members don't see this ad :)
That is what I was afraid of. Are there any other ways to gain experience to demonstrate that I do know understand the clinical side?

That is what I was afraid of. Are there any other ways to gain experience to demonstrate that I do know understand the clinical side?

Call your local hospital DOP and talk to him/her directly before taking advices here.

Call your local hospital DOP and talk to him/her directly before taking advices here.

I agree with you. Even if it is unlikely, I will definitely try before giving up. I am very motivated and determined, so I am confident that I will somehow find my way out of retail eventually. :)

why not do a residency? it's like volunteering:laugh:

I agree, try for a residency, I know 2 pharmacists who went back and did residencies after 3 and 5 years in retail pharmacy. Make yourself competitive the best you can and go for it!

Volunteer for min. wage....:idea:

That should piss every phamacist on the continent off... If you have pharmacists who are willing to do the job for minimum wage, there goes benefits, there goes quality of life, there goes your jobs...

That should piss every phamacist on the continent off... If you have pharmacists who are willing to do the job for minimum wage, there goes benefits, there goes quality of life, there goes your jobs...

Don't be silly! :) I wouldn't work for minimum wage, and I highly doubt any pharmacists would. I would still have my paying job, but would just like to do something for a short period of time to gain hospital experience. I don't mean I would fill a position for a low wage, but would just come in to observe and learn (unpaid).

Don't be silly! :) I wouldn't work for minimum wage, and I highly doubt any pharmacists would. I would still have my paying job, but would just like to do something for a short period of time to gain hospital experience. I don't mean I would fill a position for a low wage, but would just come in to observe and learn (unpaid).

Why would you want to do that? Why not get a part-time or per diem job at a local hospital?

Why would you want to do that? Why not get a part-time or per diem job at a local hospital?

I don't want to have to do it, but I'm concerned that my lack of hospital experience will make it very difficult to get hired for any sort of hospital position.

I've posted it on here quite a few times, but I'll say it again, I've made the switch after my first 5 years out of school.

The key is, go in there and tell them what you can do, how hard your willing to work to learn, and don't focus on what you can't do. Trust me, being confident is 99% of the battle.

The key is, go in there and tell them what you can do, how hard your willing to work to learn, and don't focus on what you can't do. Trust me, being confident is 99% of the battle.

Are you talking about during the job interview? I have applied for a couple jobs, but both of them asked only for a resume. I have a good cover letter that explains my dedication and how I kept up on the information, but I really dislike this online application process that doesn't let you send a cover letter, yet they want all resumes sent online. I do agree with you about the confidence factor though. I think that is essential! If I can somehow get to the interview stage, I think I will do well!

once you submit a resume, call the dop and bypass the hr dept