Can a placebo be used for "Hypnosis"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Travis Varnum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a psychiatrist were to give a patient a sugar pill and he were to tell the patient that it is drowsy medication that will be used for "hypnosis," could the person fall asleep and respond to questions as though the pill worked? Long story short, I want to know if the placebo effect works for "hypnosis" or hypnotherapy.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean "respond as if it worked?" I think you have a misunderstanding of hypnosis. It isn't like the movies. Hypnosis isn't the behavioral equivalent of sodium pentothal.
"Respond as if it worked" meaning that they would answer your questions coherently, as though he or she thought the sugar pill actually worked. Moreover, of course it doesn't work as it is portrayed in television. Hypnosis is hardly even real, as it in itself is essentially one huge placebo.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Hypnosis does not require adminstration of medication.
2. One is not "asleep" during hynosis/hynotherapy.

1. Hypnosis does not require adminstration of medication.
2. One is not "asleep" during hynosis/hynotherapy.
I know it doens't require medication, but this is what I want to know. If *this* would work. The context of the situation I would apply this experiment to is much more appropriate for this experiment than I may be letting you know.
And I know. That's why I want to know--not be corrected on--whether or not the medicine would work to put them into a sort of "conscious 'sleep' " if they were told that that is what would happen.

I know it doens't require medication, but this is what I want to know. If *this* would work. The context of the situation I would apply this experiment to is much more appropriate for this experiment than I may be letting you know.
And I know. That's why I want to know--not be corrected on--whether or not the medicine would work to put them into a sort of "conscious 'sleep' " if they were told that that is what would happen.

Ya lost me, but if the question is: can a inert medication (placebo) help facilitate a true hynotic state just because an mental health authority figure says it can/will?...then answer is no.

Ya lost me, but if the question is: can a inert medication (placebo) help facilitate a true hynotic state just because an mental health authority figure says it can/will?...then answer is no.
Why?

What is your understanding of a hynonitic state is and what conditions need to me met to obtain it?

As CBT as I am,"hypnosis" as it is used in relaxation does indeed work, not as a placebo. Although in that sense it's more of a mindfulness technique than anything resembling dynamic hypnosis, which is a placebo.

As CBT as I am,"hypnosis" as it is used in relaxation does indeed work, not as a placebo. Although in that sense it's more of a mindfulness technique than anything resembling dynamic hypnosis, which is a placebo.
I agree. To the OP, you will need to do more research on the theoretical and experimental background of hypnosis before proposing it as a construct in any type of experiment. From a dynamic sense, hypnosis works to access co-existing self states in a person...however this is theoretical, as we have no way of proving the existence of multiplicity of selves without inquiry which is filtered through one's perception (and subsequently affected by the mulitude of physiological, psychological, experimental and social determinants). To ask if a placebo can impact the outcome of hypnosis is a theoretically incomplete inquiry... the answer could be maybe. You need to narrow your research question down to a more specific frame based on existing literature.

Last edited:
If you belive that certain conditions need to be created (focusing attention, roles, etc.) in order to create the effect, which is the underying model for any hypnotic induction I have ever seen, then saying, "hey, this is a "hypnosis pill" and soon you will get sleepy and fall under my spell" does not create/meet any of those conditions.

Reactions: 1 user