Can a premed committe letter dilute the quality of individual LoRs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

over

Reaction score
A quality LoR is personalized and has anecdotes to back up a certain applicant's quality.
In the hands of a less competent premed committee, would it be possible they could "ruin" quality letters through butchering the summarization?

I'm still going to go through my committee because I have to so I'm not looking for advice or anything. Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

A quality LoR is personalized and has anecdotes to back up a certain applicant's quality.
In the hands of a less competent premed committee, would it be possible they could "ruin" quality letters through butchering the summarization?

I'm still going to go through my committee because I have to so I'm not looking for advice or anything. Just curious.
I would say that most committee letters do a decent job of including key quotes from the letter writers, while also summarizing the student's background and accomplishments. Some do a particularly good job and make the read worth it. Ultimately, premed committees want their students to succeed as it reflects positively on them, so it behooves them to try to sell their students (while trying to remain as objective as possible). As a matter of habit, I quickly read every individual letter as well, in case something was selectively omitted from the individual letters (usually done for the student's benefit).

I know of one particular school that shall remain unnamed whose committee letters are relatively less helpful... When I see applicants from this school, I just get to the individual LORs as quickly as possible. In these cases, the applicant doesn't get the benefit of a good premed committee letter, but they are still on the same playing field as those who submit a letter packet or individual LORs.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
some pre-med committees will "grade" the candidate

I didn't meet the GPA cutoff for my pre-med committee, so I just went with individual letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
I often see cookie cutter letters from pre med committees. I consider them helpful, but not negating any personal LORs. Always be sure you are asking the right person to endorse your application. On a few occasions I have found some negative comments hidden in the body of the letter.

Reactions: 5 users
some pre-med committees will "grade" the candidate

I didn't meet the GPA cutoff for my pre-med committee, so I just went with individual letters.
+1 (I did use a committee letter & individual letters as well)

schools this for two reasons

1) to an adcom, a premed committee evaluation is only as good as the history of candidates they have previously sent letters on. That is, if a premed committee writes support letter for every mediocre applicant and that reputation is known by an adcom, their letters have little value to the adcom, which goes along with comments from @Angus Avagadro and @Moko This of course, makes letters from UG premed committees with good reputations, like those with high standards for GPA, quite valuable and impactful to an adcom.

2) The undergraduate marketplace is a competitive business. If a school controls the premed process via strict guidelines for committee letters and only supports strong candidates, who are more likely to be successful, then the school can boast and market the success of their premed program.

3) Also to note, there is no requirement whatsoever that premed committee letter includes the underlying LORs in their packet. A few schools do note include them. And I know more than a few schools that do not collect them at all. They instead have the applicant provide a list of professors who is then contacted by the advisor.

4) This brings me to my last point, there is no set of standards for premed committees except general guidelines. Some schools like Rice and I believe still Cornell have very strict, rigorous process than essentially make you effectively write both your PS and multiple likely secondary essays and prepare applicants extremely well for the process. Other committees and advisors seem to have little or no useful process.
Then why do they sit around on SDN pontificating on "what makes a superstar a superstar?"

• Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I would say that most committee letters do a decent job of including key quotes from the letter writers, while also summarizing the student's background and accomplishments. Some do a particularly good job and make the read worth it. Ultimately, premed committees want their students to succeed as it reflects positively on them, so it behooves them to try to sell their students (while trying to remain as objective as possible). As a matter of habit, I quickly read every individual letter as well, in case something was selectively omitted from the individual letters (usually done for the student's benefit).

I know of one particular school that shall remain unnamed whose committee letters are relatively less helpful... When I see applicants from this school, I just get to the individual LORs as quickly as possible. In these cases, the applicant doesn't get the benefit of a good premed committee letter, but they are still on the same playing field as those who submit a letter packet or individual LORs.
I often see cookie cutter letters from pre med committees. I consider them helpful, but not negating any personal LORs. Always be sure you are asking the right person to endorse your application. On a few occasions I have found some negative comments hidden in the body of the letter.
so adcoms will see the committee letter and the individual letters too? I thought they only see committee letter?

Reactions: 1 user
so adcoms will see the committee letter and the individual letters too? I thought they only see committee letter?
Adcoms will see what you include and not what you don't include. What exactly is your question?

We see both at my school
My kid's school includes individual LORs and also premed advisor comes up with a summary recommendation. To get committee letters you need to submit PS and activities writeup. Also, premed advisor was an adcom at a T20 school before and their advice on school list was spot on. My kid was lucky to chose such a school for UG.

Reactions: 1 user
Ditto

If anything, committee LORs tend to magnify the candidate. I get annoyed when the committee extols the candidate and then rates them with only a 2 out 5 score.
May be they are using same template for everyone :)

May be they are using same template for everyone :)
Not exactly. It's more like they are not as concerned about annoying @Goro as he would like. :laugh:

Seriously, the answer is that they are trying to be all things to all people. They extol the candidate because they believe part of their job is to find something good to say about everyone, since every success reflects well on them. The same way pretty much all LORs are positive, since you'd have to be pretty stupid when you have total discretion as to who to ask for one, to get one from someone who can't write a good letter for you.

On the other hand, the committee also has to stay true to its process, so, when it does the rating, it is rating you against everyone else it is writing letters for. So, it's good, better, best, since, if you are not at least good, it typically won't write the letter. @Goro is apparently annoyed that the committee extols the 2 out of 5 as good. Just one of life's little annoyances that he'll have to deal with, because half of the people getting committee letters at every school are in the bottom half of that pool, by definition. He'd also be annoyed if every person coming from that school was rated a 5. :cool:

Ditto

If anything, committee LORs tend to magnify the candidate. I get annoyed when the committee extols the candidate and then rates them with only a 2 out 5 score.
Why do you think that happens? Perhaps the individual letters are good but the committee just doesn't like the candidate?