Can a program not allow you to get a license during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R Sterling

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My program will not sign off on the paperwork needed to get a license until May of the year you are to graduate. In NY, you only need 1 year of residency to qualify for a license. We are allowed to moonlight as per our contract, with the written consent of the PD, but they took away all of our moonlighting opportunities and made it mandatory shifts that we have to do, without any extra pay.

I am looking for moonlighting opportunities as the program underpays us compared to the other programs in the NYC area ( and I mean REALLY underpay us), but if they wont sign off on the paperwork so we can get a license, it's impossible to make any extra money. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally moonlighting is allowed with the permission of the Chairman/PD, but if they are no longer allowing it then unfortunately you are SOL.

That's pretty ridiculous that a program would do that. There is no way around getting licensed if your program won't cooperate.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds really ****ty for your program to do...

The program can prohibit you moonlighting, but it seems strange they can put a block on you getting your license. I'm not even sure how they do that (other than fail to verify your PGY 1 year?)

However, people like you are probably WHY they are doing this. You know your contract prohibits moonlighting, but you're trying to do it anyway. If you play with fire? You'll get burned.