Can a town be too small to practice in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSandlapper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people talk about going rural to try and make more money by avoiding saturated markets, but on the other hand can someone swing the pendulum too far the other direction and go so rural there aren't enough people to sustain a practice? For example suppose I found an area I would like to live but the closest town only has ~440 people is this a problem? The town has no existing dentist. The next closest dentist is in another town, 10 miles away.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, a town can be too small. When a town relies on 1 employer to employ a large percentage of the population. Or when a town relies on 1 industry to employ a large percentage of the population, you are at the mercy of the dental insurance these employers pick. If that industry were to experience a downturn, and there are layoffs, your patient base often has to move to find new employment.

This happened to a mentor of mine who owned a practice in VA that depended on the coal industry. The company went under and so did his practice.

Even cities that depend on 1 industry are at risk. See Detroit.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes!!!
If a town is too small to support a couple of MD's. a Mom and Pop grocery story and/or a pharmacy is likely too small to support a modern dental office.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say that you would need a town of at least 1,000, preferably 2,000.

Yes, a town can be too small. When a town relies on 1 employer to employ a large percentage of the population. Or when a town relies on 1 industry to employ a large percentage of the population, you are at the mercy of the dental insurance these employers pick. If that industry were to experience a downturn, and there are layoffs, your patient base often has to move to find new employment.

This happened to a mentor of mine who owned a practice in VA that depended on the coal industry. The company went under and so did his practice.

Even cities that depend on 1 industry are at risk. See Detroit.
I practice metro Detroit area and we have so many industries here. Especially boomers got so much money to spend on their treatment