Can a US pharmacist work in Europe as a pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vaughndk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a licensed pharmacist in the United States that would
like to find out if it is possible to live and work as a pharmacist
in any European countries. My husband and I would love to move
to Europe for a few years but I want to make sure I will be able
to work over there. I currently work in a retail setting and would
like to stay in the retail setting.

The countries that we are considering are: Spain, Italy, and France.
I speak all three languages, not fluently though and would consider
taking a few classes to learn the language better.

Does anyone know any pharmacists from the United States who has moved
to Europe or has worked as a pharmacist in Europe? It's been extemely
difficult to get these questions answered and any information would be
be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Nimita

Members don't see this ad.

I am a licensed pharmacist in the United States that would
like to find out if it is possible to live and work as a pharmacist
in any European countries. My husband and I would love to move
to Europe for a few years but I want to make sure I will be able
to work over there. I currently work in a retail setting and would
like to stay in the retail setting.

The countries that we are considering are: Spain, Italy, and France.
I speak all three languages, not fluently though and would consider
taking a few classes to learn the language better.

Does anyone know any pharmacists from the United States who has moved
to Europe or has worked as a pharmacist in Europe? It's been extemely
difficult to get these questions answered and any information would be
be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Nimita

The short answer is, no. The long answer is, depending on the country, it can be anywhere from a year's additional coursework and then sitting for the licensing exam(s) to having to pretty much go through the entire program in that country. Pharmacists' duties, responsibilities, and the education and knowledge required to handle them are very different from country to country, and often very different from what they are in the US.

Yes, it is possible. You can become a civilian military pharmacist (which is very very similar to retail in many ways) and work at an American Military hospital. The military have hospitals in Spain and Italy but not France. The military also has hospitals in Germany, Azores, Guam, Japan, South Korea, and Belgium.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about doing work at home online order entry for a US based mail-order/hospital/retail etc. pharmacy while living in a different country?

might think about taxes too. depending on how you work out your employment situation, you might be caught in the unfortunate trap of paying income tax to two countries at once.

military thing sounds great!

might think about taxes too. depending on how you work out your employment situation, you might be caught in the unfortunate trap of paying income tax to two countries at once.

military thing sounds great!

I grew up overseas (15+ yrs). You won't make it without tax equalization...they figure what you (my Dad) would have been paying stateside...and then foot the rest.

What about doing work at home online order entry for a US based mail-order/hospital/retail etc. pharmacy while living in a different country?
Technically, yes. Practically, why the heck would a US-based company want to bother with the extra difficulty of having someone located overseas (that means more issues with supervision, working hours, CEs if live CEs required for licensure in that state(s), not to mention taxes they will have to figure out for you, which they probably have never dealt with before) when there are plenty of qualified candidates in their city/state/general metro area?