1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

can a US trained dentist specialize abroad??

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by tinydancer1987, Jun 1, 2008.

  1. tinydancer1987

    2+ Year Member

    Aug 13, 2007
    Likes Received:
    Hi everyone!
    Quick question

    Can a dentist trained in the US (DMD or DDS and has taken the boards) then go abroad to specialize? For instance, get your DMD degree from a US school, then go to the UK for ortho, and then come back to the US as a orthodontist? Is there further training?

    If anyone knows, I would really love some insight! Thank you!!

    Also, what is the scope of dentists from the US that move to other countries to practice. If i am not mistaken, the US DMD/DDS degree is recognized internationally?
  2. BlueToothHunter

    10+ Year Member

    Dec 7, 2004
    Likes Received:
    You should have no problem with getting US state dental license with your DMD or DDS from a US dental school. However, a post-graduate experience from the UK in orthodontics (or any other specialties for that matter) will not get you a US speciality dental status. You have to have graduated from an ADA-accredited specialty program in order to be recognized in the US. At this time, you will have to repeat the specialty training in the US again when you return with British orthodontics training.

    US degrees are recognized in New Zealand, Australia, Singapore and some other Asian and Middle Eastern countries. Well of course, there is Canada too.
  3. Dr.Millisevert

    Dr.Millisevert Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Aug 4, 2004
    Likes Received:
    You still have to write exams to obtain licensure in these places and may need to sit a clinical bench exam.

Share This Page