Can a W (withdrawal) kill your chances of acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

topgun129

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys (and gals!),

I'm currently having a hard time in Organic Chemistry (mainly due to the teacher b/c this is her first year teaching and b/c you can't ask questions regarding the material b/c she says it is unfair to the other students! (yeah, i know!)

(if that wasn't enough she doesn't even know the asnwers to the h.w.'s b/c she doesn't even grade them, nevertheless has the time to asnwer them.)

I'm seriously considering withdrawing from the course and taking orgo I and II at a community college and have it transfer over to my undergrads.

But would a W (withdrawal) kill my chances of acceptance?

Thanks for your help in this situation,

topgun129

Members don't see this ad.

topgun129 said:
Hi Guys (and gals!),

I'm currently having a hard time in Organic Chemistry (mainly due to the teacher b/c this is her first year teaching and b/c you can't ask questions regarding the material b/c she says it is unfair to the other students! (yeah, i know!)

(if that wasn't enough she doesn't even know the asnwers to the h.w.'s b/c she doesn't even grade them, nevertheless has the time to asnwer them.)

I'm seriously considering withdrawing from the course and taking orgo I and II at a community college and have it transfer over to my undergrads.

topgun129

of course not. however, i would not take organic chemistry at a community college. that will look as bad or worse than a withdrawal in my opinion.

topgun129 said:
Hi Guys (and gals!),

topgun129
As long as you don't make a habit of it and withdraw out of all the hard classes and take them in community colleges you should be fine. I have heard that adcoms ask question when they see specific classes being taken at community colleges. Hope this helps and good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
what about W's in general? if i withdrew from a whole semester, would that look bad?

i've allready graduated, (back for a post bacc), and if i withdrew from these classes, would it affect my admissions chances?

iambatman said:
what about W's in general? if i withdrew from a whole semester, would that look bad?

i've allready graduated, (back for a post bacc), and if i withdrew from these classes, would it affect my admissions chances?

if you can explain yourself honestly, then no. maybe you were planning a wedding, or ran into financial trouble and had to get a job, or were helping nurse a sick parent, or a newborn.

there are viable reasons to withdraw from school for a semester, but if you tell an adcom that it was out of laziness or you lost interest in school or any other reason that makes you look like a complete tool, i imagine it could hurt your chances.

I got sick in undergrad and stopped going to school halfway through the semester. I have a whole semester of W's. Just be sure you come back strong and it won't hurt your chances.

I have incompletes because I was pregnant and had to be put in bed rest 24/7 for months. I went back and finish then after the baby was born.

Now few yrs later...last Spring I fell on my stairs 1 month before finals trying to save my 2 yr old from falling....I was in bed for 1 month--my whole life up side down :(

I'm back and trying to do my best. Things happen and sometimes you can go with the flow, sometimes you can't. I had a death in the family in September and had to leave for 1 week. Went all the way from FL to Alaska for the funeral :( and I don't know how, but I got back on track after few days. It was hard, but I'm glad I did not let go.

So if you have to W this class do it. Make sure that you get a great proffesor next time. And if comes up in the interview, don't lie--but explain with honesty what happened.

:luck: :luck:

Next time I'll let my kids fall on the stairs, I have more to loose or brake if I fall again :laugh: