Can Age be an advantage or disadvantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnderMyDesk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would applying at the age of 27 to medical school be an advantage or disadvantage?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem with age likely arises much older than 27 (>35).

The only difficulty I can see you having is if you spent the past 6 years since graduating college sitting in your parent's basement and playing video games. More time to put together strong ECs and the like so adcoms could expect more of you.

By itself, the age of 27 is neither an advantage nor a disadvantage in my opinion.

Agreed, however there is a significant correlation between life experiences and age.

Over all, I would say that given the same number stats, the older applicant will likely have an easier time applying to medical school, provided they weren't sitting on their butt, unemployed, living in their parents basement the whole time.

At age 27 I think it would be perhaps a slight advantage in terms of more life experience, provided you've been productive since graduating college. 27 is too young to be considered a disadvantage

The problem with age likely arises much older than 27 (>35).

The only difficulty I can see you having is if you spent the past 6 years since graduating college sitting in your parent's basement and playing video games. More time to put together strong ECs and the like so adcoms could expect more of you.

I don't know about that. I'd be impressed as an Ad Com if I saw on your resume that you've beaten all three mass effects, all Assassin's Creeds, both Xbox 360 Elder Scrolls games and had a level 100 Paragon in Diablo 3.

I don't know about that. I'd be impressed as an Ad Com if I saw on your resume that you've beaten all three mass effects, all Assassin's Creeds, both Xbox 360 Elder Scrolls games and had a level 100 Paragon in Diablo 3.

I still have to get through Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 myself..

should I just include this in my work/activities section and update adcoms on my progress at interviews? Do you think they will be able to help me if I bring my Xbox?

Being older is an advantage in admissions because it means you have more activities to throw on your list.

Being younger is an advantage in life because it means you can work for more years as a physician and make more money after residency.